• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Electron microscopic immunocytological profiles in chronic fatigue syndrome

Snow Leopard

Hibernating

Electron microscopic immunocytological profiles in chronic fatigue syndrome
Holmes et al. 1997.

It has been suggested that this paper may have shown MLV rather than the speculated Lentivirus, which was suggested based on the reverse-transcriptase activity.

Abstract

Structures consistent in size, shape and character with various stages of a Lentivirus replicative cycle were observed by electron microscopy in 12-day peripheral-blood lymphocyte cultures from 10 of 17 Chronic Fatigue Syndrome patients and not in controls. Attempts to identify a lymphoid phenotype containing these structures by immunogold labelling failed and the results of reverse-transcriptase assay of culture supernatants were equivocal. The study was blind and case-controlled, patients being paired with age, sex and ethnically matched healthy volunteers. Prescreening of subjects included the common metabolic and immunological disorders, functional conditions and a virus-screen against hepatitis B and C, Epstein-Barr Virus, Cytomegalovirus and Human Immunodeficiency Virus.

ukxmrv

Andrew, I checked with Dr Holmes and he is still saying the particles he saw appeared to be Viisna virus and not MLV.

The poor man has had to retire with very poor health.

Mindy K reported that a colleague of Dr Holme's still has some samples so I hope that can be looked at agaon.