• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Efficacy of Vitamin D Supplementation in the Improvement of Clinical Status in Patients Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia Syndrome: A Systematic Review

Shanti1

Administrator
Venkatesan N, et al. Curr Rheumatol Rev. 2022 Mar 7. PMID: 35255799.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35255799/

....We conducted a systematic literature review to examine the efficacy of vitamin D supplementation in improving the clinical status of the patients and alleviating the symptoms of fibromyalgia....

Results: 2651 studies were retrieved, with 12 studies fulfilling the inclusion criteria. 11 out of these 12 studies were of high quality and showed low risk of bias. 11 of these also demonstrated definitive improvement in clinical status and various outcome measures following supplementation with Vitamin D.

Conclusions: Our study emphasizes an association between supplementation of vitamin D and improvement of the clinical condition of fibromyalgia through a systematic review of high-quality studies....

Rufous McKinney

Here are the diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia:

reading here: It sounds like nobody hardly ever qualifies for federal disability with fibromyalgia. And all subjective diagnostics.

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/social-security-disability-ssdi-ssi-fibromyalgia.htm

I'm wondering how you note clinical improvement with out any way to quantitatively measure the actual problem.

I never bothered to even seek out a fibromyalgia diagnosis. I rarely even get to the topic- everything hurts. And looking at those criteria, no clue how I"d check boxes there. I'm lucky mine isn't bad.

My insurer sent a nurse here. The nurse told me she has "fibromyalgia" and there she is working full time. She told me my insurer will never treat this illness. I just received a denial for a Rx referral: off label Chronic Fatigue Syndrome not allowed.

funny- nothing is allowed.

Since that meeting, I've refused further chats with this home program.

Shanti1

Administrator
I'm wondering how you note clinical improvement with out any way to quantitatively measure the actual problem.

I believe it would be similar to studies on other "subjective" conditions, such as ME/CFS, depression, or headaches, researchers rely on the study subjects to report symptoms via standardized questionnaires, visual analog scales, and, for fibro, tender point sensitivity/tender point number.

Here in the US, it seems to me that fibromyalgia has become more accepted by the medical community ever since a few medications were officially approved to treat it. I guess the medical perception is that, if there is an FDA-approved drug, it must be a real condition.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

I'll never understand why my doctor phoned in to get authorization for a Modafinl....and told them I'd taken the fibromyalgia drug. As if some fibromyalgia drug has anhytnign to do with M odafinil (for narcolepsy)

I'd never taken the fibromyalgia drug, nor did they authorrize the modafinil. They won't cover Off label use of Rx for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome says the letter....why did I buy insurance since I have a disease it done's cover?

Can I sue for failure to provide the Goods, false advertising and forced imprisonment?

Pyrrhus

Some other pro's and con's have since been raised about these fibromyalgia criteria;
https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/9/4/1219/htm

Fortunately, the modern diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia look completely different from those older rheumatological diagnostic criteria:

AAPT Diagnostic Criteria for Fibromyalgia (Arnold et al., 2018)
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/fibromyalgia-fm-diagnostic-criteria.86692/#post-2384796