• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eds/pots and progesterone

Hi,

I have been going to the doctors for what seems my whole life and always told there was nothing wrong. I was diagnosed with pcos at one point and then told later down line that I didn't have it. Despite having reasonable fitness, I am always out of breath walking yet am slim, only 27 and have never smoked.A chiropractor pointed out that I have hypermobility but I never put it together with my symptoms until now. I had a really bad bout of dizziness and felt drunk so thought it might be my blood sugar levels so I decided to start monitoring my blood pressure, temp, heart rate and sugar levels. My sugar levels were obscure but there was not enough evidence for diabetes. My heart rate however would jump 30, 40 beats from just standing. I monitored this for a few weeks and noticed my heart rate stopped jumping when I was meant to have high progesterone in my menstrual cycle and then started jumping as soon as it was meant to drop. My temp is also pretty low

I believe I have Eds with pots and possibly mitral valve prolapse but has anyone had any experience with fluctuations due to hormones?

Thanks

L Y

Yes, hormonal changes can (will?) affect POTS. Teenagers with all their wonderful raging hormones will have problems.
Some practical advice in this lecture by Dr. Jeffery Boris.

Seven7

Seven
What I understand for a person >18yold 30bpm increase in HR at standing is POTs. See the you tube video POTs 101 or dysautonomia 101 can't remember which

L Y

There's the simple POTS test which is rise with the blood pressure cuff attached. Then there's the 5 minute supine 10 minute standing with finger attached to heart monitor...not all cardiologists know how to do the latter test.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
yes!! I have noticed progesterone and possibly other hormones are massively tied to this, I do not have complete puzzle before me but this was one of my first things is these symptoms would only come on around certain hormone times until then it became all the time. Mine is SOOOOOO connected to hormones.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
this is a huuuuuge piece of my puzzle by the way. I truly think hormones has soooooooooooooo much to do with my situation.

I noticed having episodes about a week before my period. My doc prescribed progesterone tablets to take 10 days before menstruation and it did help. Considering taking it throughout.

Pearshaped

I used to crash every month on the second day of my period.Then i started contraceptive pill (not a classy solution but it works)and since then i rarely crashed bec of menstruation.Has helped me a lot. Before that I used progesterone cream but it didn't work.Sometimes progesterone or Vitex make me feel even worse.Human Body is complicated.