• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV Study / News

Anika

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it. EBV is probably one of the most studied viruses, at least in the herpesvirus family, and there is still quite a lot that they are learning about it.

FernRhizome

Wow! This is FASCINATING. I am having trouble getting the link to the actual paper to go through. It is taking forever.

I just e-mailed it to Judy Mikovits! ~FernRhizome

K

_Kim_

Wow! This is FASCINATING. I am having trouble getting the link to the actual paper to go through. It is taking forever.

I just e-mailed it to Judy Mikovits! ~FernRhizome

Fern, me too. The PNAS website moves very slowly. But, be patient. It's there.

Frickly

Thanks for posting this. I am going to copy it and take it my doctor. I wonder how I can get involved in this clinical trial? My EBV is a big source of pain and fatigue for me and I think my daughter may have the same problem.

I somehow always thought that EBV is my main problem...ven if my doctors do not pay attention to it...
Thanks for the LINK August59.Very interesting..

oerganix

I somehow always thought that EBV is my main problem...ven if my doctors do not pay attention to it...
Thanks for the LINK August59.Very interesting..

I also thank you August 59. EBV is the only virus I've ever persuaded a doctor to test for and it was reported to be 600 times normal back in 1990, but he said, we don't know anything to do about it and don't know what it means. So, nothing was done, but I've always thought EBV had something to do with my health problems. Since I'm 62 and have had ME/CFS for 28 years I was also intereted in this quote from the articlel:
"In fact, the drugs may be even more widely useful, says Kenney, because clinicians are seeing that people older than age 70 are getting certain forms of EBV-induced cancers more frequently.
"There also is tantalizing early evidence that EBV may contribute to auto-immune diseases such as lupus and multiple sclerosis," she says.

AND possibly ME/CFS ???????

Hope123

This is an interesting article. Thanks for posting and thanks to Kim for retrieving it.

That said, this is very early science; it's based on experiments in rats and could be a while before any human trials are conducted IF lab studies continue to hold up initial results.

If your doc is a research type and open to it, they might be interested but otherwise, they won't know what to do with this.

FernRhizome

Does anyone know what sort of EBV-induced cancers occur? I'd never realized that EBV was associated with cancer at all. I'd be curious to know which cancers it's associated with. One of the fascinating things, of course, is that EBV can be reactivated & can cause cancer and XMRV can also cause cancer.....what do the two do in partnership???? Yikes. ~FernRhizome

Hope123

Some cancers associated with EBV are Burkitt's Lymphoma mostly in Africa, nasal cancers mostly in people of Asian heritage, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. EBV was one of the first viruses to be associated with a cancer and the link was put together by a surgeon (Burkitt) in Africa in the 1950s. It led to scientists looking more at the role of viruses in cancers - including the role of human papilloma virus in cervical cancer (now preventable through a vaccine).

alice1

I have folicular lymphoma which is a slow dormant type.I was also diagnosed with ebv in 1986.The only person who doesn't believe my L.is from the ebv is my oncologist.I think it's time I seek out someone else.