• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV Reactivation /Zantac / Tagament to boost Immunity - help

Sidereal

The thing is, a ton of people here have tests showing EBV reactivation but that is not what causes symptoms of ME/CFS. You can have this illness without ever having been exposed to EBV. High titres just reflect dysfunction of the immune system which is somehow failing to control these normally latent viruses.

The skin outbreaks may have nothing to do with shingles (could well be bacterial) but the tingling and nerve pain sensations sound totally like shingles. I've experienced it many times. Slamming back some Valtrex + cimetidine clears it right up. You do not have to have a shingles rash to have shingles.

It sounds like you have multiple infections going on at the same time. Have you been diagnosed with some kind of immune deficiency?

SunMoonsStars

Yes Your right about the EBV tilters. I had Mono very bad in college and then reactivated one other time about 15 years ago. The way I am demonstrating is different and odd but not unheard of.

The way I have broken out Is not shingle like at all and not herpes.
I have valtrex that always works with my herpes if I feel it coming on. I tried taking it with his and its not working like I always know it works with a herpes thing and it feels and is demonstrating totally differently. And I have shown these break outs to a few doctors now. My Primary and A Derm and a Gyno.. They all agree. No way is it Herpes Simplex or Shingles. I have had to agree. Not any blister type and not same type of nerve pain. Its odd. But they are saying they have seen it in other herpes Families esp EBV and the PCR test will verify it vs tilter tests I am assuming so.

Im in process of getting further immunity testing now as I its been assumed CFIDS part of my diagnosis is immunity disfunction but I have not had anyone really dive into depths of testing my immunity. I have had to start asking for that and I see a cancer integrative doctor who treats many things also CFS and Others and is going to test in more detail of what my immunity is functioning at.

SunMoonsStars

PS, I am not saying EBV is causing my CFS / ME
I am saying I have having an acute episode of this and I have none of these symptoms ongoing with my CFS/ME at all.
I do not know what causes the CFS/ME ongoing. I have no claim to that... that is for sure.

I appreciate your insight and feedback. It is helpful to bounce ideas and experiences.

Sidereal

Yes Your right about the EBV tilters. I had Mono very bad in college and then reactivated one other time about 15 years ago. The way I am demonstrating is different and odd but not unheard of.

The way I have broken out Is not shingle like at all and not herpes.
I have valtrex that always works with my herpes if I feel it coming on. I tried taking it with his and its not working like I always know it works with a herpes thing and it feels and is demonstrating totally differently. And I have shown these break outs to a few doctors now. My Primary and A Derm and a Gyno.. They all agree. No way is it Herpes Simplex or Shingles. I have had to agree. Not any blister type and not same type of nerve pain. Its odd. But they are saying they have seen it in other herpes Families esp EBV and the PCR test will verify it vs tilter tests I am assuming so.

Im in process of getting further immunity testing now as I its been assumed CFIDS part of my diagnosis is immunity disfunction but I have not had anyone really dive into depths of testing my immunity. I have had to start asking for that and I see a cancer integrative doctor who treats many things also CFS and Others and is going to test in more detail of what my immunity is functioning at.

EBV can trigger ME/CFS, that's been well-established, but there is no evidence that it causes ongoing symptoms we experience.

Getting further testing sounds like a great idea. Who knows, you might have a treatable immune disorder of some kind and not CFS?

Yeah, the skin outbreaks don't sound like shingles. But the symptoms you described a few days ago do (google "zoster sine herpete"). It sounds like you have multiple infections going on.

SunMoonsStars

This was old post of mine - Arms and Upper Trunk. !

I also was given a penicillin during this time and had a rash allergic reaction I never get in past.

SunMoonsStars

Epstein-Barr virus (human herpesvirus 4) is responsible for infectious mononucleosis, oral hairy leukoplakia, and other disorders. Many dermatologic findings are associated with EBV infection. Of patients with mononucleosis, 70% of those hospitalized and 10% of all patients reported a non-specific erythematous rash. This typically develops on day 4-6 of the illness, and lasts approximately one week. The exanthem first appears on the trunk and upper extremities, then spreads to the face and forearms. Features of the rash are variable, and may be urticarial, vesicular, purpuric, or petechial. Mononucleosis typically resolves within 2-3 weeks, although symptoms of fatigue can persist for longer periods of time.

If am infectious mononucleosis patient was given ampicillin, penicillin, cephalosporins, or amoxicillin, they may develop a skin eruption approximately a week after taking the antibiotic. Copper colored macular/papular eruptions form, becoming confluent over the trunk and extremities. The lesions are often pruritic, and desquamation occurs one weeks later. Patients should stop taking the drugs, and once the infectious mononucleosis resolves, they are free to take the antibiotics in the future. Because the spleen often enlarges with mono, contact sports and other potential impact activities should be avoided until the spleen returns to its normal size.

What I find that is true. There is a order of things.
Due to this I am hoping I am in the ending stage of things. The after the break out stage. But its taking a good while to resolve and retreat. That is due to immunity I feel and for any infection I usually say 3x as long as a normal person will be my timeframe for recovery.

SunMoonsStars

What's your opinion in dosing ?
Is response dose dependent ?
I read a forum where people who had HPV and warts were using 800 mg Tagamet 3x a day.

Because I've been waiting on symptoms to fully subside I thought to experiment and give a few days at higher dose.

Which would be double.

I'll report if it helps doubly.
I assume more dose the more histamines H2 can be targeted.

It's just presumption and maybe each person would need more or less based on there immune system status and infection strength.

Anyone with input or experience ?

SunMoonsStars

I Love Tagamet! I must say.
After a few months of horrible horrible EBV and a progression of the Virus
The Tagamet has been only thing to get my body to get this virus and symptoms tolerable and resolving.
Its a miracle actually. I don't know if this will help anyone else with this virus when it reactivates but
maybe this posting will help someone else.

My doctor now prescribes it and two of my doctors are recommending to stay on it.

It has not been just me playing around as I have been getting guidance and help from multiple doctors

SunMoonsStars

My doctor has given me Supplement of Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin to take with each meal.

I had concern of longer term use as well regarding stomach acid when I already normally have no extra stomach acid issues and had started double dosing at night on empty stomach and trying to dose only when I was not having meals.

SunMoonsStars

Hello I am amazed still how well this drug is working. I am prescribed to stay on it but have read that you must maybe rotate or pulse the therapy as the immune system and readjust and it can stop working as well.

Are there other users that use this ongoing long term and if so do you take breaks or rotate other things in or adjust dosing or what is your approach?
I am interesting in others experiences.

SunMoonsStars

Histamine H2 Receptors

Supporting information

Histamine H2 receptors are Gαs-protein-coupled receptors involved in the suppressive activities of histamine. H2 receptors exhibit a widespread distribution and are found in the gastrointestinal tract, the central nervous system, smooth muscle cells, endothelial cells, cardiomyocytes and immune cells amongst others.

H2 receptors regulate various functions of histamine, including heart contraction, gastric acid secretion, cell proliferation and differentiation, and immune responses. In the immune system, H2 activation negatively regulates basophils and mast cells, and inhibits antibody synthesis, T cell production, cell-mediated cytolysis and cytokine production. H2 receptors are present on Th2 cells and activation increases the synthesis of cytokines such as IL-4, IL-5, IL-10 and IL-13. Furthermore, histamine-induced T cell suppressor activity is mediated through H2 receptors.

Due to their role in gastric acid secretion, H2 receptor overactivity is a cause of gastric ulcers, and pharmacological inhibition of these receptors is an effective treatment for this condition.

The human gene encoding the H2 receptor is localized to chromosome 5q35.3.

To view external sources of pharmacological information for Histamine H2 Receptors, please click here: IUPHAR Receptor Code and BJP Guide

Wanted to share this which is pretty easy to follow on H2 Receptors and mechanisms

SunMoonsStars

https://books.google.com/books?id=y...gQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=IL10 to high cfs&f=false

CFS have increase of IL10 most often.
The Increase of IL10 Inhibits Th1 Immunity and Decrease NK Cells and also Increases Th2 immunity.
With decrease of Natural Killer cells IL-10 also disrupts our ability to suppress viral infections. It can directly increase production of viral proteins. Epstein Barr Virus and Human Cytomegalovirus and some other viruses produce a molecule that’s structurally similar to IL-10 in order to evade the immune system.

Because H2 Histamine decreases the IL10 therefore it increases your Th1 and decreases Th2 (balancing affect).

The H2 Blockers work therefore on the T Regulatory Cells that were induced by the H2 histamine.

Arius

I just heard about using H2 Blockers to put chronic reactivated EBV into remission today!

Went out and bought $30 worth of OTC Famotidine (aka Maximum Strength Pepcid AC). Does anybody know how I should be dosing myself?

The tablets are 20mg, and $30 scored me 50 of them.

Someone was saying 400mg a day of Zantac, and I was assuming I should be taking an equivalent amount of famotidine... but I'm not sure and don't want to poison myself. We're talking about 10x the recommended dosage, which sounds unsafe. Plus it would cost me over $350 a month to take that much... which means I'd have to choose between famotidine and food. May as well call it fam(otid)ine at that price.