• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV Reactivation /Zantac / Tagament to boost Immunity - help

nandixon

@Arius, It's been a long time since I've looked at this but I don't believe just any H2 blocker will be useful for your purposes. Rather it's cimetidine (Tagamet) via a non-H2 related mechanism that might be helpful. Famotidine and ranitidine are not helpful in this case, if I remember correctly.

Art Vandelay

My doc prescribed 150mg x 2 of zantac per day for reactivated EBV. It seems to be working as advertised.

I'm also taking betaine HCL as I'm worried about the lower levels of stomach acid that would result.

Has anyone experienced increased tiredness after taking ranitidine / cimetidine?

Taking either one, the first time, resolves my fatigue for about 24 hours. But after the first day, subsequent doses just cause me to feel more tired.

Note that I get none of these effects (positive or negative) with famotidine

chilove

Has anyone experienced increased tiredness after taking ranitidine / cimetidine?

Taking either one, the first time, resolves my fatigue for about 24 hours. But after the first day, subsequent doses just cause me to feel more tired.

Note that I get none of these effects (positive or negative) with famotidine

It's common for them to cause drowsiness. It often abates after awhile if you take them long term

chilove

Is anyone else taking cimetidine or other H2 blockers for reactivated EBV? I'm starting cimitidine today. I also ordered andographis herb because I heard that it's a natural H2 blocker and good for EBV. I'd rather take an herb if it works just as well. It's cheap

chilove

I also get sores from EBV that are not herpes.. I had them cultured. The mouth sores are the worst! So painful. I'm very happy to report that Cimetidine does help a great deal. Within a day the pain was going down and by the next day the mouth sores were gone and the feverish feeling gone.