• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ease Throat For Falling Asleep

paul80

My throat always feels a bit irritated. I swallow a lot. I got used to it but when trying to fall asleep it's a problem. I find throat sweets help, i use soothers ( these) but i'd prefer not to eat sweets every night, i was wondering if there was a better way to coat the throat for a short time just to get to sleep. Does anybody know anything more natural?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I gargle with Swanson Thymus grandular (opening the capsule) and vitamin c powder (ascorbic acid). The combo starts to numb my throat within a few minutes. I use this whenever I feel like I'm coming down with a virus. It really helps for that.

I also get the "crimson crescents" that are typical to ME/CFS and this helps with that as well.

paul80

I gargle with Swanson Thymus grandular (opening the capsule) and vitamin c powder (ascorbic acid). The combo starts to numb my throat within a few minutes. I use this whenever I feel like I'm coming down with a virus. It really helps for that.

I also get the "crimson crescents" that are typical to ME/CFS and this helps with that as well.

Thanks for the advice. Is thymus safe to take? Do you know why it has a numbing effect?

Rufous McKinney

Does anybody know anything more natural?

gargling with salt water might help some?

I find I often need something salty its rather numbing on my inflammed tongue and back of throat.

My throat is yucky and dry often, choking. I use some chinese herbs which moisten the lungs, I take them not every day at the moment.

Elderberry syrup is soothing on the throat...but its sweet. I'd avoid the type with vinegar in it. My mouth really hates vinegar.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Thanks for the advice. Is thymus safe to take? Do you know why it has a numbing effect?

Some people might have concerns with taking grandulars because they are animal organs and many times dried rather than cooked but I have never had any problems with them. They've always seemed to help my immunity and make it stronger.

Of course if you have allergies causing the sore throat, I have had times when taking the mixture sometimes seemed to make the reaction a little stronger for a while but it still did diminish after that.

I'm not sure about the numbing effect. I think it just starts to work quickly or it could be the ascorbic acid but I take ascorbic acid powder by itself too and I haven't really noticed the same numbing effect.

Also I tried this with sheep thymus (because it is suppose to be a purer product) but it doesn't seem to work the same way as beef thymus. Just something to keep in mind especially now that I noticed Swanson is out of stock of this product currently. Sometimes that means they stopped making it. I hope not because I'm on my last bottle. :(

Zebra

Hi, @paul80

I think Slippery Elm tincture (which you add to water) or Slippery Elm tea might really help with your throat irritation. I suffer from terribly dry throat, which is worse at night.

I just started experimenting with Slippery Elm last year. It may seem a little gross at first (the consistency is a little "mucous-y"), but its flavor isn't bad at all. I got used to it by my third use. Now it doesn't phase me at all.

You can play around with different types, and different delivery methods, and see what works for you. Maybe you could even try gargling with it before bed, and then swallowing a bit to coat your throat?

In case this makes it easier for you, here are two kinds I use:

1) Maui Herbs, Slippery Elm tincture. It's organic & alcohol free. Instrux on bottle.

2) For tea, I use Autoimmuni-Tea Leaky Gut Support Blend. It contains both Slippery Elm and Marshmallow Root, which are supposed to support mucosal lining of mouth & throat, not just the intestinal lining mentioned in the name of the tea. The other herbs in the "tea" blend, cinnamon, peppermint, rose hip, help make it more pleasant cup of tea. It's a bit pricey for such a small bag, but I couldn't see myself buying Slippery Elm bark powder and making my own concoction. Blech!

I hope this info is helpful to you!

Rufous McKinney

I think Slippery Elm tincture (which you add to water) or Slippery Elm tea might really help with your throat irritation. I suffer from terribly dry throat, which is worse at night.

I got some of that recently myself, thinking about lungs and COVID. I have not been taking it very often, but worth considering. Some years ago I recall finding lozenges of that.

paul80

@Zebra sorry i missed this.
I've been thinking about trying slippery elm for my stomach lining, i get terrible pain sometimes. But only problem is i read "Because slippery elm coats the digestive tract, it may slow absorption of certain nutrients or medications. You shouldn’t take any other supplements or medications within two hours of taking slippery elm."
I need to take clobezam late at night for epilepsy so i'm worried it wouldn't absorb. If it would just absorb a bit more slowly it probably wouldn't be a problem though. I might just give it a try. Thank you.

i looked up the tea you mentioned btw and they have apparently removed the slipper root, just to let you know. from amazon "Hi! We removed slippery elm and replaced it with Chamomile per our herbalist requests. We are working on updating the ingredient list on the listing page."

paul80

@Zebra I found 2 of the tincture in the u.k. The brand you mentioned is out of stock in the u.s amazon. https://www.nutriherbs.co.uk/product/slippery-elm-11-non-alcoholic-tincture/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slippery-Elm-Bark-Tincture-50ml/dp/B07ZCC78JS

one has alcohol in it so i'll skip that. Any idea what the extraction rate means? says "1:5 Extraction Ratio in 25% Alc. The other one is 1:1. You're brand was 1:3. I'm not sure what this means. Is the larger number the herb or the liquid base?

Zebra

Hi, @paul80

Thanks so much for your nice response, and for telling me about the critical change in the tea ingredients. Good to know!

I am afraid that I do not have the same attention to detail that you do, in that I failed to pay any attention to the ratio you asked me about. Like you, I assume it's the ratio of slippery elm to base liquid but I'm unsure. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Nice to connect with you! I do hope your symptoms improve!

paul80

I found out and yes the first part is the herb, it's called the Menstruum Ratio, so the 1:1 seems like the best value. pity their website doesn't seem to work.

Strawberry

Also I tried this with sheep thymus (because it is suppose to be a purer product) but it doesn't seem to work the same way as beef thymus. Just something to keep in mind especially now that I noticed Swanson is out of stock of this product currently. Sometimes that means they stopped making it. I hope not because I'm on my last bottle. :(

I just learned about this brand. I haven’t tried thymus yet, and have no idea how it compares to swansons, but might work if swansons quit making it?

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
My throat always feels a bit irritated. I swallow a lot. I got used to it but when trying to fall asleep it's a problem. I find throat sweets help, i use soothers ( these) but i'd prefer not to eat sweets every night, i was wondering if there was a better way to coat the throat for a short time just to get to sleep. Does anybody know anything more natural?

Gagging, sore throats and tender neck lymph nodes were a big problem for me too. The MDs had no idea what was going on and it was misattributed to acid reflux. I used to use ricola lozenges. Thankfully these are no longer a problem.