• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Early life Iron Deficiency = Hippocampal persistent dysfunction. 2020 Review

pattismith

The Effects of Early-Life Iron Deficiency on Brain Energy Metabolism​

Thomas W Bastian 2020
https://doi.org/10.1177/2633105520935104

Iron deficiency (ID) is one of the most prevalent nutritional deficiencies in the world.

Iron deficiency in the late fetal and newborn period causes abnormal cognitive performance and emotional regulation, which can persist into adulthood despite iron repletion.

Potential mechanisms contributing to these impairments include deficits in brain energy metabolism, neurotransmission, and myelination. ...

We conclude that early-life ID impairs energy metabolism in a brain region- and age-dependent manner, with particularly strong evidence for hippocampal neurons.

Additional studies, focusing on other brain regions and cell types, are needed.

Among the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle enzymes, aconitase and succinate dehydrogenase are iron-dependent.

Deficits in hippocampal energy metabolism also likely contribute to long-term hippocampal dysfunction through impaired neuronal structural maturation or persistently impaired energetic capacity

linusbert

i had this iron deficiency as young kid. had to eat apples with screws in it... (well the screws got taken out when eating).

but how to fix this?

pattismith

i had this iron deficiency as young kid. had to eat apples with screws in it... (well the screws got taken out when eating).

but how to fix this?
I spent my life with brain iron deficiency, and even after iron repletion, lots of symptoms didn't improve, probably from permanent damages.

I don't think I can fix it, but I can help my brain with a bunch of drugs and supplements .

linusbert

Not sure that the drugs working for me will work for you.

Do you still have iron deficiency or symptoms of brain iron deficiency ? (for example ADHD , fibromyalgia, restless legs)
never had any of those. ADHD in sense of bad concentration and slight learning difficulties but nothing else.
but i need to start somewhere.

Interesting topic. Iron deficiency common in children born to alcoholic mothers and also common in third world spots where people are on a starvation diet. But I suppose it could also happen because of some genetic defect?

pattismith

Interesting topic. Iron deficiency common in children born to alcoholic mothers and also common in third world spots where people are on a starvation diet. But I suppose it could also happen because of some genetic defect?
" Genetic polymorphisms in genes involved in the hepcidin suppressive pathway such as TMPRSS6 (transmembrane protease serine 6), have been associated with low iron status"
"TMPRSS6 genetic variants can lead to different degrees of iron deficiency and anaemia [1820].
In addition, SNPs in the TF gene, also important in iron transport to cells, have also been reported to affect iron status and lead to low iron status [2426]. "

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0235141