• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Early Events in XMRV infection of wild-derived mouse, Mus pahari.

lansbergen

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21084477

J Virol. 2010 Nov 17. [Epub ahead of print]

Early Events in XMRV infection of wild-derived mouse, Mus pahari.

Sakuma T, Tonne JM, Squillace KA, Ohmine S, Thatava T, Peng KW, Barry MA, Ikeda Y.

Department of Molecular Medicine, Mayo Clinic, College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905 USA.

Abstract

A novel gammaretrovirus, xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV), has been identified in patients with prostate cancer and in patients with chronic fatigue syndromes. Standard Mus musculus laboratory mice lack a functional XPR1 receptor for XMRV and are therefore not a suitable model for the virus. In contrast, Gairdner's Shrew-mice (Mus pahari) do express functional XPR1. To determine if Mus pahari could serve as a model for XMRV, primary Mus pahari fibroblasts and mice were infected with cell-free XMRV. Infection of cells in vitro resulted in XMRV Gag expression and the production of XMRV virions. After intraperitoneal injection of XMRV into Mus pahari mice, XMRV proviral DNA could be detected in spleen, blood, and brain. Intravenous administration of a GFP vector pseudotyped with XMRV produced GFP-positive CD4-positive T cells and CD19-positive B cells. Mice mounted adaptive immune responses against XMRV as evidenced by the production of neutralizing and Env- and Gag-specific antibodies. Prominent G-to-A hypermutations were also found in viral genomes isolated from the spleen suggesting intracellular restriction of XMRV infection by APOBEC3 in vivo. These data demonstrate infection of Mus pahari by XMRV, potential cell tropism of the virus, and immunological and intracellular restriction of virus infection in vivo. These data support the use of Mus pahari as a model for XMRV pathogenesis and as a platform for vaccine and drug development against this potential human pathogen.

PMID: 21084477 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Interesting news - and nice to see one of the presentations from the XMRV workshop getting published (I noticed that Y. Ikeda presented on Mus pahari there). May others follow!

Can anyone break down what this article is saying?

What does this paragraph mean?

"Intravenous administration of a GFP vector
pseudotyped with XMRV produced
GFP-positive CD4-positive T cells and
CD19-positive B cells."?

I've had very high CD19 cells. I've also rad that XMRV can make IGG sub class 3 low, which I've been diagnosed with and am being treated with IVIG for the low IGG subclass 3.

Been trying to be re-tested for XMRV but have not have any responses to my requests from Marguerite at VIP. Anyone know why o response to three e-mails asking for a re-test?

Thanks for any thoughts!

ukxmrv

Fairlight, I think that Marguerite has been away. Maybe try to call them instead. Were you after the Serology retest after paying for the culture? On another forum someone did speak to VIP dx and they said there were about 1000 retests to do and it would take months. Really sympathise as the wait must be awful.

ukxmrv -thank you for your reply and empathy. Much appreciated!

If Marguerte is away I would think that someone would be replacing her during her time away. I’ll call them next week. Yes, I tested negative in Nov. 2009 with the culture test. Marguerite has told me, via e-mail, that a letter would be going out in several weeks, but it's been several months and I haven't heard anything.

Yes, the wait is very frustrating, especially when needing treatment and not knowing which treatment to take. If we have XMRV is it dangerous to take medications that break down the immune system, which could increase the virus? It's all very confusing! Thanks again!

Jemal

Well fairlight, even if you were found to be positive for XMRV, I am afraid most doctors would still not know what treatment to give.
It's one of the reasons why I haven't got myself tested yet. There's no hope for treatment, at least here in the Netherlands. Every doctor I meet I have to educate. And officially there's nothing proven yet. XMRV might exist, but not cause our symptoms (I think this is unlikely).

It's all very frustrating. But I can imagine it's even more frustrating when your first test was negative.

Jemal-it's not only knowing what treatment to take, it's knowing what treatments not to take, i.e. biologicals, Il blockers, that could potentially cause harm if used with an XMRV infection.

Jemal

Yeah, I guess I understand what you are saying. Basically we can't take anything at the moment...

ukxmrv

Fairlight, if XMRV+ patients know not to take hormone and other treatments. No more steroids for me.

It's not hopeless, there is a network of XMRV+ patients throughout the world sharing treatment failures/success on an informal basis and on the internet.

Such early days. We need clinical trials obviously. In the short-term we can try what is available to us and then report back on the benefits/drawbacks. It's been like that a long time now with ME treatment.