• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dyamic Duo: Lucinda Bateman and Ron Davis Rock the Brain Science Conference

Murph

:)
https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...-ron-davis-rock-the-brain-science-conference/

@Cort went to a conference and wrote it up. Mostly covering familiar ground but there were a couple of moments when I went "Wait, that's new". Like this: (I was sure they'd only used the nano-needle on 10 patients. Now it seems to be 17. And the pattern is holding.)

cort said:
Finding a biomarker, Davis said, is essential for proving to the world that ME/CFS is not all in one’s head. He holds out the most promise for the nanoneedle and its billion data points. Thus far, the stats are impressive. The nanoneedle has found dramatic declines in the energy production of all 17 ME/CFS patients but none of the healthy controls when faced with a stressor. The relatively small sample size becomes less significant in the face of a statistical finding like that. (The possibility that that result could be caused by chance is 5×10(-7) (or, if I can get my zero’s correct p<.0000007).) You hardly ever see probability factors that strong in biology.

Also this. Is this the same gene that inspired Phair? He also found one that was in every severely ill patient, and only one, if I recall correctly. It was the one massive outlier and it inspired his metabolic trap hypothesis. If true, interesting that it is a brain gene.

cort said:
The genomic studies have identified a gene new to ME/CFS research which has been found, if I remember correctly, in every severely ill patient. Expressed mainly in the brain, the gene has been connected to autism – an interesting connection given Bob Naviaux’s findings of similar metabolomic results in the two diseases.

Diwi9

Administrator
Also this. Is this the same gene that inspired Phair? He also found one that was in every severely ill patient, and only one, if I recall correctly. It was the one massive outlier and it inspired his metabolic trap hypothesis. If true, interesting that it is a brain gene.
It begs the question if many PwME have family members with autism? I do and 23&Me also informs me that I have genes which put me "at risk" for autism. Just looking forward to the day where we have a unifying theory for all of these interesting bits, but at the moment more hopeful to see some publications in the near future explaining some of this.

ETA: Data from 23&Me, the analysis is actually through Promethease.