• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

drugs=sleep

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Most no my sleep is very up and down ie no consistancy. Last night i added a natural cocktail, i have tried most of these in other mixes before and i still need meds to get me to sleep but this definatetly improved my sleep quality and quantity. I slept from about midnight till 10am and the meds i took would normally give 6 hours at best. I alternate my sleep meds every night but last nught my meds were zopiclone, neurontin and baclofen and like i said about 6 hours from this. supplements i have added to this last night were phosphatidyle serine, withania both these can help with high cortisol levels, then added zizphus, kava , melatonin and 5 htp and i think this in combo with my meds helped me sleep last night.

What i have also been doing lately is when i wake at 2am etc i then have the zizyphus and or kava, im still normally abit groogy from meds but not enough to sleep and these herbs help me get back to sleep for the rest of the night. I have tried taking just these instead of meds but it just sort of relaxers me, not strong enough to switch the sleep on. But it does seem that using the supplements with meds at the same time works better then waking in the morning and then taking supps. but im getting sleep which is good.

cheers!!!

Sleep

Hi harpseal

sorry buddy still need to get back to you via PM. Midnight to 10am is excellent, little enviouse lol

and same with me drugs will only give me about 6hours as well. Imovame isnt a benzo(i may be wrong though) so you may add one if you like. Adaption or tolerance is difficult to deal with, but am glad to hear the natural additions have helped, well at least last night. It seams you hit it from a few angles... More or less like jacob Teitelbaum recomends.

My current combination leaves me nauseated in the morning and not very deep sleep or any real useful length to it. And same have tryed going all natural and the same happened to me. Will post this before my 'smartphone' crashes, again.... Lol?

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Melatonin warning - For those with dysautonomia please be aware that melatonin can make it worse. I had been taking it and stopped as I didnt think that it was helping and then heard to take it 3 hours before bedtime which I did find helped but my dysautonomia did get worse and I had to stop. After stopping for about 3 weeks I am back to my normal.

glen

heapsreal

Hi harpseal

sorry buddy still need to get back to you via PM. Midnight to 10am is excellent, little enviouse lol

and same with me drugs will only give me about 6hours as well. Imovame isnt a benzo(i may be wrong though) so you may add one if you like. Adaption or tolerance is difficult to deal with, but am glad to hear the natural additions have helped, well at least last night. It seams you hit it from a few angles... More or less like jacob Teitelbaum recomends.

My current combination leaves me nauseated in the morning and not very deep sleep or any real useful length to it. And same have tryed going all natural and the same happened to me. Will post this before my computer crashes, again.... Lol? is difficult to deal with, but am glad to hear the natural additions have helped, well at least last night. It seams you hit it from a few angles... More or less like jacob Teitelbaum recomends.

My current combination leaves me nauseated in the morning and not very deep sleep or any real useful length to it. And same have tryed going all natural and the same happened to me. Will post this before my computer crashes, again.... Lol?

Imovane hits the same receptors as benzo's and i think that there is a cross tolerence between benzo's and imovane ie if u are getting tolerence problems with benzo's it will increase tolerence to imovane to a certain degree, so i just put it in the same class as benzo's. My midnight to 10am sleep didnt happen the next night bugger, i have had a couple of restless nights the last 2 nights but have had some sleep but sleep is very inconsistent with me????? i think the natural stuff is helping but still need meds and of course need to swap and alternate between the natural stuff like i do meds or they stop working too. Im just always chasing my tail when it comes to sleep, i hate it, lol.

cheers!!!

Imovane hits the same receptors as benzo's and i think that there is a cross tolerence between benzo's and imovane ie if u are getting tolerence problems with benzo's it will increase tolerence to imovane to a certain degree, so i just put it in the same class as benzo's. My midnight to 10am sleep didnt happen the next night bugger, i have had a couple of restless nights the last 2 nights but have had some sleep but sleep is very inconsistent with me????? i think the natural stuff is helping but still need meds and of course need to swap and alternate between the natural stuff like i do meds or they stop working too. Im just always chasing my tail when it comes to sleep, i hate it, lol.

cheers!!!

Ok understand, did not know that.

Hmmm understand how you feel mate, I hate it too.

Sammy

Andrew

I alternate between Restoril and Lunesta. On top of this I take Melatonin time release. I still wake up a few times, but this is much better than before.

I just added something to the above. Lately I've get into bed and my mind is just not ready for me to be in bed. Or, I get a crawly feeling in my skin, and don't feel comfortable in bed. So there are two herbal infusions that seem to fix this for me. They are Sleepytime Herbal Tea and Sleepytime Extra Wellness Tea. Neither contain tea. So far I can't tell the difference. What I do is sit in the living room with mug of this. Drinking it makes me feel drowsy and relaxed. This seems to help the other pills do their work.

heapsreal

cool, glad u found something thats helping. What is in the sleepy time teas??

After a few years of not using diphenhydramine or doxlamine (over the counter antihistamines) i have been using them with success added to my benzo at the time, either imovane/zopiclone or valium. Im still using natural stuff, phosphatidylserine but increased it to 200mg at night to lower night time cortisol and tryptophan 2000mg. I do add other herbs like zizyphus or kava from time to time and of cause alternate which pills i use for sleep.

Touch wood i have been sleeping well of late with meds, but this may have co-incided with my viral load coming down to normal as well, so less inflammatory cytokines buggering up my sleep.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

Sorry andrew, but i knew i shouldnt have bloomin read this post, i have been up and down every hour or so. I ginxed myself by saying something here. I had one of the antihistamines plus both valium at first and then an hour later because nothing was happening took some imovane, that got me a few hours sleep and then a dose of tryptophan gave me an hour and a 1/2. Here i am talkin about flamin cytokines etc like i think i know what im talkin about, flamin sleep, lucky im not working tommorrow thank goodness.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

I was suppose to get up and take kids to school this morning, my spunky wife just said stay in bed and sleep i will get kids to school, i got a couple more hours sleep thank goodness. I dont know how much total sleep i got but it was very broken and fragmented and of cause i was up at 230am to tell the phoenix world of my sleep problems, at 430 i couldnt be bothered, lol.

I probably stole your thunder Andrew, sorry, now what herbs are in that tea??

cheers!!!

merylg

Hi heaps,

Just was reading about Pyroluria & noticed that Insomnia & Poor Dream Recall are two symptoms related to it.
http://healthy-family.org/caryn/63/why-am-i-so-edgy-learn-about-pyrrole-disorder-pyroluria

I recently have been treating low mood with 900 mg Elemental Magnesium (Taken as Amino Acid Chelated Magnesium 500 mg....1 capsule=100 mg elemental Magnesium)
3 capsules morning, 3 midday, 3 evening
(need to take care re kidney function & drug interactions)

I have recently also added Blackmores BioZinc to my schedule. Plus started a wheat-free diet. Not taking any medications for sleep or mood. The only meds I occasionally take are over-the-counter Paracetamol (Acetominophen) & Zantac if needed.

I am finding I have gone from bedbound/and/or needing frequent daytime naps, to being able to be up and about the house, awake all day. Still mostly housebound, but it's a big improvement.
Sleep overall at night is improved. FM-type upper spine & shoulder pain has improved too.
Mood in day is improving. It also is helping that it's Springtime & we are headed for Summer in the Land Downunder :)
I sort of fit this profile for Pyroluria, but have never been formally tested.
Hope your sleep is improving.

meryl

john66

I alternate between Lunesta and Ambien. Last night was just one of those nights, I knew I had to get up early today and Lunesta at 3mg is just useless. Wound up taking 100mg of trazadrunk at 5 and sleeping 3 hours. I think Ambien works better, I also take melatonin, theanine and a few other natural remedies. It seems like I like to humor myself that the natural remedies actually do anything, I keep hoping to stumble on to that magic formula that will allow me to discontinue to z drugs, so far it has not happened. The best drug for me is xyrem, if it didnt have so much salt added to it, I would take it again.

heapsreal

I alternate between Lunesta and Ambien. Last night was just one of those nights, I knew I had to get up early today and Lunesta at 3mg is just useless. Wound up taking 100mg of trazadrunk at 5 and sleeping 3 hours. I think Ambien works better, I also take melatonin, theanine and a few other natural remedies. It seems like I like to humor myself that the natural remedies actually do anything, I keep hoping to stumble on to that magic formula that will allow me to discontinue to z drugs, so far it has not happened. The best drug for me is xyrem, if it didnt have so much salt added to it, I would take it again.

Have you looked into baclofen, its said to be the poor mans version of xyrem, cheap as chips. My experience is own its own doesnt do much but when used with sleep meds it has improved my sleep quality. I use zopiclone which is similar to lunesta, i find it a good drug but need 2 tablets(15mg) which i think is similar to 6mg lunesta. I try to use other meds(over the counter) and natural stuff to relax me and then try to use just one zopiclone to send me off to sleep. If i dont do this then i need 2 zopiclone. I just started a thread on clonidine and noradrenaline, it might interest you.

cheers!!!

I stopped taking a supplement with 5htp (serotonin and melatonin precursor) and started taking slow-release N-acetylcysteine right before bed. I slept wonderfully last night, will see if it keeps up. Fingers crossed!