• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drop the Dead Donkey jibes - they are getting my GOAT

Sunday

If it was the LDS, people would confuse it with Latter Day Saints. That could be nice.

I think maybe why people are flaming about XMRV is that they put so much hope in it in the first place. I've always been interested in the research, and I'm still interested in it, but I never saw any reason to immediately assume that this was the answer. I was just happy that this disease was getting some attention as a MEDICAL issue, since so many doctors still don't believe CFS exists as a physiological problem. I think XMRV is a big gain just for that. And if it turns out to be more, great.

K

Knackered

I'm not sure who's been coming out with the anti-XMRV rhetoric but maybe they're the people who don't think they'll have XMRV.

I can't think of any other reason why they'd be so negative about it, If it's the cause of Canadian criteria CFS I'm pretty sure I'll have it and I'm pretty sure you will too Adam. All the best mate.

Adam

I was just happy that this disease was getting some attention as a MEDICAL issue, since so many doctors still don't believe CFS exists as a physiological problem. I think XMRV is a big gain just for that. And if it turns out to be more, great.

Sunday you are right. This is a big gain. If (and personally I find this tough to comprehend right now) XMRV did not pan out then we have to hope that some of the interest stimulated, remains.

If it's the cause of Canadian criteria CFS I'm pretty sure I'll have it and I'm pretty sure you will too Adam.

Knackered - I think it seems likely that Canadian criteria fits with what we know about XMRV and with what Judy M has said recently. And yet, so little is known, it could also prove to be the culprit for those that don't match Canadian. It could be that some folk have stronger immune systems which are able to somehow stave off the more devastating effects.

I do hope this thread has been worthwhile. It was not my intention to instigate trouble. More just to say we ought to all respect each other. Stick together on this. And agree to disagree without resulting to inflammatory stuff which invetiably leads to conflict.

And anyway, it's been worth it for the Donkey postings alone.

Best of to all

Adam

PS if the donkey gets very sick we'll leave it to Judy M to give it it's last rites. And I won't have any hard feelings towards the WPI - far from it.

jackie

And the offspring would be........? A Donkeraffe? Giraffonkey? Geronkey? Donkgiraffkey? Onkeydeyegeraffekey? Just plain Wonkygiraffonkey?

Ackeyjay

hensue

My money is on the donkey,

it may not reach the post, but it is the only one running in the right direction. :thumbsup:

At first I skimmed your post and thought it said my monkey is on the donkey! I almost fell out of the chair laughing!

sproggle

Jan
Ok what's all this about then? lol

:deadhorse:

Doesn't look too good.... Wait wait it's ok it says it's a HORSE not a DONKEY!!! Phew !!!!!! :victory:

I was worried for a bit there :tear:

:hug:
hugs to all, just cause :D
Jan xx

I'm in. I have thought from day 1 this has to be some kind of retrovirus. I had every symptom of late stage AIDS in the early days. When I first heard of AIDS, I nearly dropped dead from shock. So it's got to be something similiar that allows every other virus to come in, or be turned back on.

JillBohr

What a bummer. I am one (if not the only) non-ME/CFS sufferer here so I would not be able to join the Dead Donkey Society. I guess I will just be an a%s.

Adam

Dead Donkeyites come in all shapes and sizes so really you should get in Jillbohr.

Perhaps we could allow non-sufferers Associate membership?

Actually, the only criterea for membership (also a prerequisite for The Church of False Illness Beliefs - best ask the Pastor, Dr Yes about this) is a sense of humour.

You're in.