• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drill a hole in head?

D

dirtyharry

True story. Many years ago a newspaper article told about a woman with CFS who drilled a hole in her skull. Don't recall why.

I don't think it helped her CFS, but we must keep an open mind, like she did/has.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
There have been many, many winters in my past with CFS where "drilling a hole in my head" sounded like a very good idea. Fortunately, over the years, I've been able to find other, less drastic, measures for my intense head pain, and never had to resort to it.

dirtyharry, you made my day! ;)

Athene

ihateticks.me
I read a magazine article ages ago about various people who felt much better after trepanning. Most of them had some form of low grade encephalitis and the hole gave relief on that pressure that causes headache. So that would apply to PWCs. Apparently the effect wears off after a while... some people drill second or third holes in desperation.
They had photos in this article, and I had nightmares for quite a long time, by the way!

leelaplay

True story. Many years ago a newspaper article told about a woman with CFS who drilled a hole in her skull. Don't recall why.

I don't think it helped her CFS, but we must keep an open mind, like she did/has.

so that's how one gets an open mind - I always wondered how to do it.

Athene - think I would have had nightmares too. Am imagining pressure insde my skull, a swollen brain, no release ...............................awk

I read a magazine article ages ago about various people who felt much better after trepanning. Most of them had some form of low grade encephalitis and the hole gave relief on that pressure that causes headache. So that would apply to PWCs. Apparently the effect wears off after a while... some people drill second or third holes in desperation.
They had photos in this article, and I had nightmares for quite a long time, by the way!

Oh man....

This is the one subject I REALLY wish I had not just googled.