• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Oz Looking for CFS Patients...

K

_Kim_

Andrea's comment

From the Facebook WPI wall

Dr. Oz is being taped in New York I am too ill to go but we have great representatives :) . I will update when I can prayers, positive energy and love to all. Very good things happening all because of you! WPI fans Rock !!!

Nielk

Dr. Oz show

I live in NY and could make it to NBC studios but I'm hesitant to apply.
I've been diagnosed six years ago and have been on ss disability for three
But, I have a shy personality and have trouble speaking fluidly. It's part of my cognitive problems that I often can't find the right words. Maybe that's a good thing because it represents many of us who have cognitive problems.

But, I can surely tell my story which is full of pain and frustration.

What to do?

K

_Kim_

I live in NY and could make it to NBC studios but I'm hesitant to apply.
I've been diagnosed six years ago and have been on ss disability for three
But, I have a shy personality and have trouble speaking fluidly. It's part of my cognitive problems that I often can't find the right words. Maybe that's a good thing because it represents many of us who have cognitive problems.

But, I can surely tell my story which is full of pain and frustration.

What to do?

Nielk, I think you should apply. They (apparently) do very heavy editing on the show and they'll just cut out any word-finding fumbling. It's not live...

The bigger question would be if going on the show is going to be too anxiety-producing, would it throw you into a crash? Not worth it, if that's the case.

Nielk

Kim - that's a very good point. It's very hard to predict what reaction I would
have.
It might be therapeutic if they will allow me to really tell my story and empathize with it.
On the other hand, if I feel that they are trivializing and trying to disprove me, I'll certainly get emotional and very upset which will adversely affect me.

annunziata

If Oz was smart, he would bring in some patients via Skype and explain how they are too sick to travel. Laura Hillenbrand would be a good candidate for this.

I second this. Not only is Laura Hillenbrand very articulate, but she is used to being interviewed. She's probably learned how to keep it together even when feeling quite ill.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
NEWS UPDATE: NANCY KLIMAS HAS WRITTEN DR OZ.

I dropped Nancy Klimas another email regarding the Oz Show, (see my letter below), and she emailed me back this response yesterday:

I wrote them - we'll see!

To: Klimas, Nancy
Subject: Please contact Dr Oz, re: show on CFS

Dear Dr. Klimas--

Dr Oz is planning another show on CFS. Please see this link: http://doctoroz.com/plugger?tid=1465

I have written to you regarding this issue before (about the last Dr Oz Show--CFS debacle).
I am hoping you will contact him in regard to the new XMRV research and your work with CFS.

It would be a GREAT BIG BLESSING for all PWC's, if you were on his show.

Thank you, xxxxx

PS Frankie Vigil, with the WPI, has been contacted by the Dr. Oz Show producers and is going
to be connecting them with Judy Mikovits! (news just in!)

annunziata

I just wrote to them, giving as clear an account as I could of my 23 years with CFS/ME. I told them I hoped they would take a good look at what a serious and devastating illness this is. And I suggested that they try to speak to Laura Hillenbrand.

I sure hope they include Dr. Klimas! That would be fantastic.

Amy

G

George

Keep the Girls where they belong <grins>

Personally I don't want any of them on TV I want them in the lab doing what they do best. RESEARCH!

When it's proven, in the bag, beyond doubt. . .then all of the doctors can have a vacation and play with the TV people. Till then get back to the lab!!!

P.S. just in case you are thinking I'm being a male chauvinist, George is a pseudonym, I'm a 46 year old FEMALE. <Big Grins>

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi George--

The wheels are in motion, and the show will go on, whether we approve or not. Since we CLEARLY have had some influence IN THE LAND OF OZ, ;)
I think it would serve us better to continue to let that influence be felt.

In other words, I'd RATHER HAVE Nancy Klimas and Judy Mikovits present CFS on the Oz Show, than Jacob Teitelbaum. Just my opinion.

A

Aftermath

Dr. Oz and Teitelbaum

Hi George--

The wheels are in motion, and the show will go on, whether we approve or not. Since we CLEARLY have had some influence IN THE LAND OF OZ, ;)
I think it would serve us better to continue to let that influence be felt.

In other words, I'd RATHER HAVE Nancy Klimas and Judy Mikovits present CFS on the Oz Show, than Jacob Teitelbaum. Just my opinion.

If I agreed to do this and then saw Teitelbaum, I'd walk out of the place.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Response from Donnica Moore

NEWS UPDATE: OZ SHOW CONTACTS DONNICA MOORE

I just received a note back from Donnica Moore:

Thanks for your kind + thoughtful email. I agree with you about the previous segment of Dr. Oz confusing chronic fatigue + CFS. Before I had a chance to contact his producers, however, they reached out to me. Now we're at the phone tag stage! I'll have the CFIDS folks post the info about the segment if + when it airs.

BTW: you may not know this about me, but both my son + my husband have CFS. I feel your pain.
Best regards
Donnica
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry