• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. MONTOYA fired in Stanford!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEPatient345

Why haven't the many female accusers, or even just a few of them, or just ONE, come forward publicly? Why are they tucked securely behind a thick hedge of anonymity?
This is a private institution and they are private employees who have been harassed. It’s not on them to come forward publicly. An investigation was done properly. They get to go on with their careers in a safe environment, he gets dismissed. Rightly so. They don’t owe anybody any further explanation.

I note that Dr Montoya has not been arrested. So if it's so bad why not?
Lots of women get harassed or made to feel uncomfortable in work settings. Lots, all the time, it’s RAMPANT. Hence #metoo. They don’t all file criminal charges. The standard for what is appropriate behavior in a workplace is not always the same standard as what constitutes a crime, obviously. And even if it was, many women who are sexually assaulted also do not always file charges.

The fact that I’ve seen this claimed to be some sort of wider conspiracy about ME/CFS researchers or that a claim of sexual harassment is something easy to bring up, is frankly disgusting.
Agreed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just called the Stanford CFS clinic to ask about an appointment I have scheduled there. I was told Dr. Montoya is on sabbatical, and Dr. Bonilla remains at the clinic seeing patients. I was also told the clinic is not accepting any new patients currently, they do not have an acting director, and they are trying to figure out who will see Dr Montoya’s patients. They seemed unprepared to field these questions. Sabbatical is different than fired, right?

anncavan

I just called the Stanford CFS clinic to ask about an appointment I have scheduled there. I was told Dr. Montoya is on sabbatical, and Dr. Bonilla remains at the clinic seeing patients. I was also told the clinic is not accepting any new patients currently, they do not have an acting director, and they are trying to figure out who will see Dr Montoya’s patients. They seemed unprepared to field these questions. Sabbatical is different than fired, right?
@search4health I also called today and they said they were starting the process of calling all Montoya patients with a scheduled appointment to be rescheduled with Dr. Bonilla or Amity Hall. I was not allowed to reschedule while on the call, but was asked to wait my turn as they figure out their schedules along with the patients with appointments prior to mine.

ukxmrv

Is the Standford Daily website the only source of these allegations? I understand that this is just a student run website.

Patients ringing the clinic are told he's on a sabbatical. It's doesn't correspond.

It's not about disbelieving victims. They don't even need to come forward and I don't want them to suffer more. It's a reporting question.

.How reliable is that website normally - does anyone know?

ebethc

from the Daily Beast today...

reiterates the stanford daily reporting, and adds this information:

“It is extremely important that you know I have not been involved in any sexual or romantic relationships with employees, trainees, colleagues, or CFS team members,” he added. “I have mentored, supported, and facilitated the professional growth of both female and male team members in numerous other Stanford communities and the Toxoplasmosis laboratory for almost three decades. I have done this with respect, professionalism, and the affection proper of my Hispanic heritage—without any other expectation than that of an advisor who is proud to see their mentees advance and succeed.”

“The social norms in the U.S. are evolving and quite different than those from my culture and homeland,” Montoya continued. “I did not sufficiently appreciate that difference. It is my responsibility to change and be both mindful and respectful of the boundaries of personal space—and I pledge to do just that.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/stanford-professor-jose-montoya-blames-hispanic-heritage-for-alleged-sexual-misconduct-that-got-him-fired

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
Stanford statement of support for ME/CFS patients and research can be found at the bottom of this page:
https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-clinics/infectious-disease-clinic.html

image.png
image.png

Status
Not open for further replies.