• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Mikovits to answer questions Science!

Sing

Yeah, The Dark Side! (We have a witty exploration of this on the thread, Paging Dr. Yes.)

I find all such close looks at the shadow aspects helpful, as we end up not so entirely alone with the effects of dishonest or harmful human behavior.We aren't solving the problem, but we are keeping each other company while we suffer it. We are also informing, validating, supporting each other--which may result in more effective actions on our behalf down the road. I consider this to be "wise-ing up".

Appreciate the takes here from Europe and the British Isles! Thanks everyone for contributing your intelligence!

Sing

Hope123

Well, I'm glad that Mikovits will be writing a follow-up to the Science study as we all have so many questions about it. In terms of "blinding" in the original study, I don't think it was blinded - if someone has evidence of this -- e.g. from WPI - please tell me. My impression was that WPI knew which samples were CFS and which were controls but not the clinical details (age, country of origin, etc.) until after the tests had been run.

I don't believe in conspiracies but I do believe in the fallacy of humans. This morning, I was listening to yet an another radio show about the economic meltdown in the US and the few people who made billions by betting AGAINST the stock market. The person being interviewed was asked why so many people (analysts, stock brokers, etc.) missed it and his answer was "They were paid not to notice it" meaning so many were making so much at that time that it was not to their benefit to look at the truth. Made me think of the CFS research situation.

Esther12

Well, I'm glad that Mikovits will be writing a follow-up to the Science study as we all have so many questions about it. In terms of "blinding" in the original study, I don't think it was blinded - if someone has evidence of this -- e.g. from WPI - please tell me. My impression was that WPI knew which samples were CFS and which were controls but not the clinical details (age, country of origin, etc.) until after the tests had been run.

If the WPI were to publish a peer reviewed study that had been carried out under blinded conditions, I'd be a lot less worried about the failure of others to replicate their work. If they'd developed a test the allowed them to distinguish between the blood of CFS patients and healthy controls, then even if it's somehow not XMRV, it would surely lead on to something. Until we get news of this though, I'm trying to make sure I remember it could all be some peculiar mistake.

usedtobeperkytina

Speaking of which, Rich, I have been wondering what happened to the Japanese blood test near-infrared spectroscopy (I think).

I did hear he applied for patent. But this was years ago. Any news?

Tina