• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Mikovits Clears Up Conversation on Antiretroviral Success

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Dr. Deckoff supplied this post

http://helpmecircle.blogspot.com/2011/01/dr-mikovits-dismayed-about-private.html

``````
I am dismayed to read about a private conversation,
a portion of which has been taken out of context,
and disseminated on the internet.

My recollection is that the conversation was much
more measured than what is portrayed here.

In fact, the anecdotal response to antiretrovirals has
been mixed, though there have been some notable
successes.

The response to treatment, or lack thereof, is an
important piece of the puzzle.

I am not a clinician. I am a scientist. My enthusiasm
for antiretroviral drugs stems from (unpublished)
laboratory evidence that treatment with
antiretrovirals impacts the disease.

Although scientific convention generally requires not
discussing prepublication findings, the enormity of
the public health disaster ethically requires
suspension of these norms.

The WPI is committed to making any clinically
relevant information available. Our clinical advisory
board was formed to address this issue.

Our vision is to have a research group and clinical
group that interact to produce meaningful treatment
for patients as soon as possible.

We are doing everything in our power to open the
clinic to patients in the very near future. It is a
unique opportunity for true translational medicine,
bench to bedside to bench, and should further our
understanding of XMRV/HMRV infection in the most
direct way possible.

For the last year, I have been forced to respond to
clinical questions, because many patients have had
no one else to ask. We are making progress towards
providing physicians to answer questions about
treatment.

Judy A. Mikovits

The facebook post about this conversation that supposedly took place came out months ago and was asked at that time to be removed as well. People should not be posting things they heard from someone else as it would be second hand information. Who really knows what was in a conversation or if took place. I would consider it inaccurate unless the actual person that had the conversation posted it. There are laws that pertain to the internet and people should be careful what they post.

Jemal

Although scientific convention generally requires not discussing prepublication findings, the enormity of the public health disaster ethically requires suspension of these norms.

I guess she's not making herself popular with the "establishment" with statements like that, but I love her for it. I also think she is right: if all the normal rules are followed, this disaster will become even greater. It's just very unfortunate she's losing credibility by doing this. We need more positive studies from other scientists, so that Judy and the WPI are not the single focus point for all the negative backlash.

I guess she's not making herself popular with the "establishment" with statements like that, but I love her for it. I also think she is right: if all the normal rules are followed, this disaster will become even greater. It's just very unfortunate she's losing credibility by doing this. We need more positive studies from other scientists, so that Judy and the WPI are not the single focus point for all the negative backlash.

I agree Jemal. However, I don't think she is loosing credibility at this point. She is leading, hopefully some of the other researchers will get the "cue". Especially when one considers what we are dealing with from the other side. Dried spot garbage, or five "might be contamination" papers.

In my mind the WPI has found it, and the Alter FDA/NIH has verified the WPI results with what appear to me(the layperson) to be more elaborate testing methods. I believe those two studies are enough when one takes into consideration the actions of the naysayers.

I don't believe the negative dried blood spot tests or the five "might be contamination" papers for one minute.

Esther12

I don't think she's losing credibility at this point, but I think this approach will have cost them in the past. By now, anyone who'd let these sorts of things affect their judgment of the WPI would probably have already done so imo.

Following the Alter study no-one would be able to use it as a reason to dismiss XMRV though, so I don't think it really matters.

Navid

popular w/the establishment

No-one who works to bring about radical change is popular with the establishment:
Jesus Christ
Benjamin Franklin
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Paine
Frederick Douglas
Crazy Horse
Sitting Bull
Sojourner Truth
Susan B. Anthony
Lucretia Mott
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Rosa Parks
Martin Luther King Jr.
Malcom X
The Black Panthers
The Chicago 7
Daniel Ellsberg
Howard Zinn
Noam Chomsky
Ghandi
Cesar Chavez
Larry Kramer/Act-Up.....

Judy Mikovits and the WPI
Alter and Lo

the list goes on and on.

if you get into the game of breaking long held government beliefs/paradigms, you better be ready for a struggle. And if you are a member of the class being oppressed/destroyed/left to die by the government paradigm you should stand by your "leader" through the good, the bad, the ugly in order to bring about change.

Change, you know it don't come easy.

Tia

Still sounds hopefull though. Just sounds like it will take a bit longer than expected but personally I'm so thankful for the test coming and then a medication that I have no words. People shouldn't bother Judy with these small matters when she's doing the REAL work on everything.

SOC

I think the take-home message here is that we should not publically disseminate the contents of our private conversations without approval of all participants in the discussion. This has to be particularly important for those who are trying to help us and are subject to a lot of unjust criticism. We don't need to make people like Dr M over-cautious about talking with us, or make their lives anymore difficult than they already are.

A private conversation should be private.