• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Jon Kaiser

Swim15

I've been seeing Dr Kaiser now for a little while. Definitely an interesting guy. Several sessions in and don't have enough to really form a full opinion.

The most concerning thing to me so far is that he missed the ball on a couple fairly important things regarding medication, stuff that he definitely should not be missing as a physician, but I'm going to give it some more time before I fully evaluate things.

From my sessions with him so far it seems like he has some fairly set ways of thinking. I've brought up a number of health markers and other things on blood work, etc and he generally just ignores them and continues on his track. I've also been surprised that he isn't familiar with a lot of the common theories, medications, and approaches of some of other, more prominent, CFS physicians.

Still, I don't think he is necessarily off on his approach but I am still seeing other physicians and getting other thoughts. This is something complex enough that I wouldn't ever want just one set of eyes on it.

Also - he recommends his product, K-Pax, to everyone but it is incredibly over priced for what it offers. You can buy the Life Extension Mix (360 count bottle @ 12 capsules daily) which has everything K-Pax does and a lot more for less money at about $50 a month as opposed to the $70-140 for the K-Pax depending on the dose he puts you on.

hapl808

Do you mind elaborating on what kind of things he missed? I was thinking about seeing him, but after 20+ doctors in various specialties I'm a bit skeptical of medical treatment in general. Most of the 'revolutionary' CFS doctors seem to recommend BCAA or D-Ribose or methylation pathways or CIRS binders or whatever. Anyone active enough here has tried all that stuff or is at least aware of it.

I'm trying a course of mimosa pudica now which one of my Chinese doctors really believes in, although I'm not sure. I did a course of Albendazole last year that seemed to help a little bit, but mostly with digestive issues rather than my muscular weakness and ME crashes.

Swim15

I am going to leave out specifics as I don't really want to be identifiable as a current patient but I can DM you details.

He has a fairly open minded wholistic approach but I haven't totally been sold that he has or is ruling out things that he thinks aren't applicable. Its one thing to not think they are applicable but another to actively rule out diagnoses while continuing down a treatment path for the most likely cause if that makes sense.

Swim15

Just wanted to update this after a few more appointments with Dr Kaiser.

I wasn't totally sold on his approach initially but I do like the way he has progressed with things. I have gone with his plan pretty much whole-heartedly for the most part. I do evaluate the things he suggests and will leave something out or change something if I really feel it is warranted but overall I think his approaches are good.

He is knowledgeable and focuses on addressing each individual symptom specifically to create a unique approach using methods that not all MD's would subscribe to

5vforest

Thanks for the update. I was actually considering seeing him. (I'm also considering Chheda, not sure what her waiting list is like.)

I'm at the point where I want more of an evaluation / second opinion / someone to order tests and make sure I'm not missing anything. (It's been a decade since I originally became ill, and it seems like you read all the time about people taking years to eventually get diagnosed with autoimmune issues, or CCI/Chiari, for example.)

Swim, it sounds like Dr. Kaiser has given you a "plan" of sorts? My concerns with him are pretty much the same ones that you brought up in your initial post, that he's focused on his own view of the illness, and not as up-to-date on everything else or willing to consider alternatives.

Any more info you can share either here or in a DM would be helpful! And thanks for updating us :)

Swim15

Yes, he has given me a plan for each of my individual symptoms and has addressed some of my concerns about a couple initial recommendations.

I am involved in the medical field and very medically literate so it takes me a bit to buy into any doctors ideas but overall I think Kaiser has a good holistic approach that you wouldn't get at Stanford or most other places. He is also one of the less costly providers so that's a plus.

If you want someone to work through the diagnosis and history with you then I would recommend him. I would be ready to do a lot of testing if you haven't had that done in the past already