• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Donnica's Recent Book & Articles

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Dr Donnica Moore responded to our Sock Project thread this morning. She requested that I copy and paste her message here as well... pertaining to a book and articles she's recently been working on.

I'm always happy to help. . .let me know when there's something newsworthy. Sorry I don't have time to go back & review this whole thread.

My CFS focus right now is a book for kids/teens with CFS (& the people who love them) that I'm working on with my son. Signed publishing contract yesterday.

Also have an article on CFS due for "The Female Patient" (a medical journal that goes to physicians & has a patient-focused waiting room version).

Another small victory: I pitched an article to the pharmaceutical industry trade journal Pharmaceutical Executive, with the agenda to "invite" pharmaceutical industry researchers to start aggressively joining the race for discovering the cause/s & treatment options for CFS. The article isn't perfect, but they interviewed several names you know, including myself, Annette Whittemore, Cort Johnson, Suzanne Vernon, Kim McCleery & others. Note that there is a different version of the article for the US audience (longer: see http://pharmexec.findpharma.com/pharmexec/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=661633&pageID=1&sk=&date=) & the European audience (shorter: http://digital.findpharma.com/nxtbo...gest_20100324/index.php?startid=16#/7/OnePage). For those who want to comment on the article, there is an email section on the site.

I'm also home with a CFS-crashed son, so don't worry--I will not forget the importance of this cause!

Best regards,
Donnica

usedtobeperkytina

Thank you Dr. Donnica. I see you are being proactive. This is what we need. I just read the article. Although, from a news structure standard, it is poorly written. The main points and new information is buried way down in the story.
But, I like that they included many players, touched on all the issues (except the name) and had new information (the part about problems company had in testing for antibodies).

And while I don't think the book will get us much exposure, I do think it is a story that needs to be told, documented.

And I would love to have you educating main street doctors. That is the key, in my opinion. Hope they will believe it.

I would love to see a brochure in the doctor's office. Credible because it is in doctor's office and visible.

Although you are already doing so much, Dr. Donnica, if you or CAA could come up with an easy and unique idea of what we could do to create more awareness, that would be great. Let us help you help us.

But, we need a leader and an idea so we are all doing the same thing. Obviously, the campaign needs to take into consideration our limitations, both in energy and money.

And I am sorry your son is crashing.

Tina

starryeyes

Thank you Dr. Donnica! We're lucky to have you. :Retro smile:

I'd like the see ME/CFS brochures in doctors offices too but I'm afraid they will contain info saying we respond well to CBT and GET or implying this even if those acronyms/words aren't used.

Navid

not a journalist...so not so savvy about the ins and outs of article writing....

but i thought the article was good. it gave me hope. it explained the situation well.

thanks dr. donnica, cort, dr. vernon and anyone else involved.

lisag

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Although you are already doing so much, Dr. Donnica, if you or CAA could come up with an easy and unique idea of what we could do to create more awareness, that would be great. Let us help you help us.

But, we need a leader and an idea so we are all doing the same thing. Obviously, the campaign needs to take into consideration our limitations, both in energy and money.

Tina, Dreambirdie first contacted Dr. Donnica to tell her about the Sock It To ME/cfs project. Dr. Donnica's response was in regards to that. I think that's the awareness campaign we need. If you check just the posts that have been posted on that thread just today, here, you'll see that it's gaining momentum tremendously---almost too fast. We need to get behind the sock project and find some well volunteers who can put energy into it alongside us. From Alaska's governor to Dr. Donnica to all of us who have posted on the thread, it's clear the sock project generates great enthusiasm! It not only will generate more awareness but can focus advocacy. Think "AIDS quilt" and you've got the idea!

creekfeet

Sockfeet
I commented on the article and here, in case they don't publish my comment, is what I said.

There is so much in this article good and bad and inconsistent, but that is not a criticism: that makes it a very honest reflection of the state of CFS research and popular media today. The article could almost be summarized thus: "In the face of persistent patient gullibility and suspicion, big pharma is nevertheless eager to capitalize on the moneymaking opportunity presented by possible XMRV causality in CFS." On the other hand, the current situation could be summarized like this: "In the face of inconclusive research and a sensationalizing popular media, CFS patients are nevertheless willing to remain calm and objective, waiting for satisfactory studies to prove or disprove the latest findings, though it is true that patients are growing more restless and even activist in demanding that the CDC make a reasonable new disease definition and recommendations for treatment." Finally, the possibility of an infected blood supply is a horrible specter to raise, but I applaud the sober and professional manner in which this was addressed. Indeed, public health concerns may mobilize the search for a cure like no amount of patient suffering could.