• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller:Recent Articles in The Guardian, CNBC and Popular Science

Countrygirl

https://www.virology.ws/.../trial-by-error-recent.../...
Trial By Error: Recent Articles in The Guardian, CNBC and Popular Science
6 December 2022 by David Tuller Leave a Comment
By David Tuller, DrPH

As part of an ongoing project on long Covid, The Guardian recently published a powerful excerpt from a book called “What Doesn’t Kill Us Makes Us: Who We Become After Tragedy and Trauma.” The author, Mike Mariani, is an American journalist who a decade ago found himself smacked with a debilitating case of chronic fatigue syndrome, as the illness was generally called then. His experience led him to explore how other people have come through life-altering challenges—a traumatic brain injury, paraplegia, a prison sentence–and managed to refashion their lives, as he was forced to do.

Mariani’s book, published in August, also includes a moving account of his own serious health challenges. Ed Yong, The Atlantic’s Pulitzer Prize-winning science reporter, called it “a masterpiece—a book that truly captures what it means to be changed by tragedy, and a necessary salve for our troubled times.” From The Guardian’s excerpt, titled “A catalog of losses,” here’s a heartbreaking list of some of the pleasures that Mariani’s illness forced him to relinquish:

“I could no longer play football, basketball, baseball, or any other sports; run, bike, or exercise at the gym; fall asleep naturally; wake up feeling refreshed; go out for drinks; imbibe any alcohol without inducing devastating hangovers; use recreational drugs without triggering days of physical desolation; experience the heady cascade ushered by endorphins; feel the glorious surge of an adrenaline rush; feel “sharp this morning” or be “feeling good today”; manage on less than nine hours’ sleep; expend the energy required to teach literature and composition to yawning adolescents for multiple hours; consistently remember movie plots, grocery store lists, the week before last, or all manner of proper nouns; stay up late into the night without sabotaging my ability to function the following day; carry out math computations in my head; recall what it felt like to relate to the friends and family in my life; or participate in the world without the obfuscating screen of perpetual sickness.

Back