• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: Professor Crawley Promotes Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for CBT Failures

Countrygirl

I particularly enjoyed David's latest on the 'methodologically and ethically challenged grant magnet', Esther Crawley.

https://www.virology.ws/.../trial-by-error-professor.../...

Trial By Error: Professor Crawley Promotes Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for CBT Failures
11 July 2022 Leave a Comment
By David Tuller, DrPH

What is going on with Professor Esther Crawley, Bristol University’s methodologically and ethically challenged pediatrician and grant magnet? And why is she still disseminating misguided views about treatments for vulnerable children? Haven’t kids suffered enough from the discredited claims of the GET/CBT ideological brigades?

YippeeKi YOW !!

I dont have enough energy today to be be really hateful, but if I did, I'd focus it pretty much in its entirety of Dr. Crawley .... altho you have to appreciate how perfectly her last name suits , uh, things ....

BrightCandle

I really wish they would stop funding this research, its getting embarrassing at this point. Hopefully Charles Shephard will do some good embedded into a working group at the government and get all these stupid CBT/GET treatments fixed across the country and drag all these charlatans out into the light to properly be exposed.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for CBT Failures
Whats next, GET purity pledges?

The CBT/GETers are stuck in the past (by choice), they bought the psychosomatic kool aid and have formed a cult around it. Cults are notoriously resistant to facts that challenge the ideological worldview they are peddling.

That said we are talking about science here and not religion, they are committing scientific fraud. How unfortunate that there is no criminal or civil actions that can be taken to deal with the harm these zealots have done and are trying to perpetuate upon innocent disabled people.

BrightCandle

That said we are talking about science here and not religion, they are committing scientific fraud. How unfortunate that there is no criminal or civil actions that can be taken to deal with the harm these zealots have done and are trying to perpetuate upon innocent disabled people.

There might be actually. By failing to follow the NICE guidelines if they treat patients with this then they may very well be committing medical negligence, if patients come to harm then there may be a case to answer. Before NICE changed the guidance they could all point and say that it was standard practice, they don't have that defence now, they are willfully breaking NHS guidance with no way to claim they aren't aware (because they signed a public letter against it). So its on them to prove that it was the right treatment at this point. I have no confidence in the negligence mechanisms and complaints departments in the NHS, they close ranks worse than the police do, but the courts are an appropriate place to take it and they are absolutely liable if they hurt people. CBT in the UK in my experience includes GET in the form of increasing your activities to improve your mood recommending coffee with friends and outside activities in increasing amounts etc so odds are they are harming people.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
There might be actually. By failing to follow the NICE guidelines if they treat patients with this then they may very well be committing medical negligence, if patients come to harm then there may be a case to answer. Before NICE changed the guidance they could all point and say that it was standard practice, they don't have that defence now, they infact breaking NHS guidance so its on them to prove that it was the right treatment. I have no confidence in the negligence mechanisms and complaints departments in the NHS, they close ranks worse than the police do, but the courts are an appropriate place to take such a thing and they are absolutely liable if they hurt people. CBT in the UK in my experience includes GET in the form of increasing your activities to improve your mood recommending coffee with friends and outside activities etc etc so odds are they are harming people.
In this case perhaps we need to find a test case, line up legal representation (perhaps a lawyer would be willing to work pro bono?) and go to court.