• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: My Exchange of Letters on Amygdala Retraining; That Undead Lightning Process Study

Countrygirl

https://www.virology.ws/2022/02/10/...zRNloniYmtqpPJrwRZTGG3jvTw_gQF00GzXbflPQ9KDVk

Trial By Error: My Exchange of Letters on Amygdala Retraining; That Undead Lightning Process Study
10 February 2022 2 Comments

By David Tuller, DrPH

Earlier this week, I wrote to Helena Liira of the Helsinki University Central Hospital about a new trial of “amygdala and insula retraining” for so-called “functional disorders”—fibromyalgia and irritable bowel syndrome along with ME/CFS and long Covid. (I critiqued the trial here.)

In particular, I wondered how the investigators justified use of the phrase “amygdala and insula retraining.” The trial is also an unblinded study relying solely on subjective outcomes—a recipe for bias. Here’s my initial message:

Dear Dr Lira–

I am a public health researcher and journalist with the Center for Global Public Health, part of UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health. I frequently comment on research in the field of ME/CFS and related diseases, now including long Covid. Much of this commentary appears on Virology Blog, a popular science site hosted by Professor Vincent Racaniello, Higgins Professor of Microbiology at Columbia University. (I have cc’d Professor Racaniello here.)

have recently seen the clinical trial registration for “Amygdala and Insula Retraining (AIR) Program and HUS Internet Therapy Compared to Treatment as Usual in Bodily Stress Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Long Covid, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS).” Yesterday, I posted a Virology Blog commentary in which I criticized the research on a couple of fronts.
If you would like to send a response to the concerns I have raised, I would be happy to post it on Virology Blog, alongside my critique. If you do so, perhaps you could address these questions:

1) Given the interventions, the study is of course unblinded. However, all the outcomes are subjective. This combination of elements—being unblinded and relying solely on subjective outcomes—is a recipe for generating bias. Participants who know they have received interventions that promise significant benefits are understandably more likely for any number of reasons to report benefits than participants who do not receive the interventions.
Are you concerned about the bias inherent in the study design, and that this issue could create doubt about the accuracy of the results? If not, why not? Did you consider including any biomarkers or objective outcomes of physical function or movement? If not, why not?

2) The study is presented as investigating “amygdala and insula retraining” even though it is not assessing participants’ amygdalae and insulae in any way, much less whether they have been “retrained.” As I assume you understand, the use of this sort of language by so-called “brain rewiring” programs is a marketing strategy designed to enhance their appeal and imply they are grounded in sound science.
Beyond hypothetical musings, can you provide any serious evidence that the intervention in fact involves “amygdala and insula retraining”? (Modest and hard-to-interpret changes in BDNF levels in a small pilot study do not justify use of the phrase; moreover, this trial is not measuring BDNF levels.)

Are you concerned that giving an intervention an unwarranted scientific-sounding name could lead to bias and unrealistic expectations among participants? Did anyone involved in the design or approval of the study raise concerns that adoption of the phrase “amygdala and brain retraining” was deceptive and perhaps unethical?
As mentioned, I would be happy to post any response you would like to send.

Thank you!

Best–David
David Tuller, DrPH
Senior Fellow in Public Health and Journalism
Center for Global Public Health
School of Public Health
University of California, Berkeley
On Wednesday, I received the following from Dr Liira:

Dear Dr Tuller,

Thank you for your email and for your interest in our study. We are not willing to start discussing our ongoing trial, which is of course approved by an ethics committee. Our aim is to help the patients who suffer from these debilitating conditions.

Kindest regards,........................................