• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: Medical Societies and new Komaroff-Lipkin Paper Highlight Long COVID and ME/CFS Links

Countrygirl

Trial By Error: Medical Societies and new Komaroff-Lipkin Paper Highlight Long COVID and ME/CFS Links
20 July 2021 by David Tuller Leave a Comment

https://www.virology.ws/2021/07/20/...k7Ujc-3DwcpHTuK0p-JDkN37irQRq7StW3C0LzMIZ30Ps

By David Tuller, DrPH
While some medical professionals argue that prolonged non-specific symptoms after acute COVID-19 are psychogenic and that “Long COVID” as a presumed clinical entity was concocted by a cabal of queers and feminists, others are getting on with efforts to disseminate more appropriate information to their colleagues. These efforts often involve drawing parallels with the pathophysiology of ME/CFS.

In the US, where states are generally responsible for regulating health care practitioners, the Medical Board of California licenses and disciplines physicians in my state. The agency also publishes an online newsletter, the Medical Board of California News, four times a year. The July issue includes a focus on Long COVID, which is also called Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC). It features an account of a nurse suffering from Long COVID and an article—attributed to ME Action–called “Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Long COVID: What Every Physician Needs to Know.”

This professional partnership with a patient group seems significant. Maybe that often happens with the Medical Board of California News—I haven’t checked back issues. In any event, this certainly seems a long way from when the US Centers for Disease Control was still citing the discredited PACE trial as an authoritative and credible source of treatment guidance.

Here’s a key passage from the article:

“A recent survey of nearly 4,000 self-described COVID long-haulers indicates that 78 percent are experiencing persistent fatigue, 72 percent are experiencing post-exertional malaise, and 55 percent are experiencing cognitive dysfunction six months or longer after acute infection. These symptoms are the three most common among surveyed long-haulers, and all three are primary diagnostic criteria for ME/CFS.”

And here’s a prediction that COVID-19 could lead to a tripling of US ME/CFS cases:.........

Last edited: