• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: A Letter Urging NICE to Publish ME/CFS Guideline Without Delay

Countrygirl

Trial By Error: A Letter Urging NICE to Publish ME/CFS Guideline Without Delay

https://www.virology.ws/2021/09/01/...YCpSw_T3KIYTa1SNJyySmwL4EhKn_FJZHQOnW_RloOE8o

1 September 2021 by David Tuller 1 Comment

By David Tuller, DrPH
This morning, I sent the following letter to Professor Gillian Leng, the chief executive of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.
Professor Gillian Leng CBE
Chief Executive
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
Dear Professor Leng,
Please find below a letter urging NICE to publish the new ME/CFS guideline, signed by scientists, clinicians, academics and other experts from the UK, the US, and other countries.
I would be remiss not to mention another guideline for the illness, which was published last week by Mayo Clinic Proceedings. This document –“Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Essentials of Diagnosis and Management”–was written by the US ME/CFS Clinician Coalition. In a statement that highlights the larger context of the current debate, the authors note that “the United States and other governments as well as major health care organizations have recently withdrawn graded exercise and cognitive-behavioral therapy as the treatment of choice for patients with ME/CFS.”

Best–David Tuller
David Tuller, DrPH
Senior Fellow in Public Health and Journalism
Center for Global Public Health
School of Public Health
University of California, Berkeley
Dear Professor Leng,
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) is charged with creating evidence-based clinical guidelines for a range of conditions. Because of NICE’s reputation as an independent arbiter of scientific evidence, their guidelines influence medical practice not just domestically but in countries around the world........................

Countrygirl

NICE has replied to David.
I have received a brief but gracious response from Professor Gillian Leng, chief executive of NICE, to the letter I sent yesterday with more than 120+ signatories in support of publishing the new ME/CFS guideline. In my cover letter, I had mentioned the new recommendations from the US ME/CFS Clinician Coalition. Here is Professor Leng's note, followed by my response.
David
Many thanks for getting in touch and for highlighting the Mayo clinic guideline.
I’m pleased that we now have a date for the roundtable discussion, where we can illustrate the approach taken in the guideline development to all parties. We will also of course note your letter.
With kind regards,
Gill
Dear Gill--
Thanks for your response! I appreciate that you took the time to write back.
I do hope this demonstration of international as well as domestic support for publication of NICE's ME/CFS guideline is helpful. I look forward to hearing about the outcome of the round-table meeting.
Best--David