• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: A Letter to KCL, Another Letter to BMJ

Countrygirl

Trial By Error: A Letter to KCL, Another Letter to BMJ
By David Tuller, DrPH

Last week, I wrote about a troubling press release issued by King’s College London regarding a major study of cognitive behavioural therapy as a treatment for so-called dissociative seizures. On Friday, I sent a letter to the two communications people listed on the press release about the study, as well as to the corresponding author.

I have also written some recent posts about BMJ’s methodologically and ethically challenged pediatric study of CBT plus music therapy–here, here and here. Two weeks ago, several colleagues and I wrote a letter of concern to Professor Imti Choonara, editor-in-chief of BMJ Paediatrics Open, and Dr Fiona Godlee, editorial director of BMJ. We have not received a reply, so this morning I sent a follow-up nudge.

Both letters are posted below.

Subject: Awaiting response to letter of concern about CBT-music therapy paper

Dear Professor Choonara and Dr Godlee—

Two weeks ago, several colleagues and I wrote about serious methodological and ethical concerns involving a recent study in BMJ Paediatrics Open on cognitive behavioural therapy plus music therapy as a treatment for adolescents with chronic fatigue following acute EBV infection.

Since we haven’t heard back, I am following up. As we noted in our May 31st letter, the paper should be withdrawn pending a re-review and then retracted if our concerns are confirmed. Children with serious health issues—an extremely vulnerable group—deserve at least that much consideration.