• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Cheney - Exercise therapy and ME CFS is harmful!

xchocoholic

I'm not sure if Dr. Cheney ever considered that some of us could do exercises while laying down. This eliminates the blood flow problems that those of us with orthostatic intolerance have when we're upright ...

Granted, it's taken me awhile to rebuild my strength from not exercising for 21 years but I am gaining endurance and muscles strength. I have a thread here on exercises for those who are disabled and have orthostatic intolerance and PEM ...

In addition, I found out recently that I CAN simulate running if I'm laying down. I do this on a pilates type machine at physical therapy ... And as long as I go ast a slow and steady pace, I'm not getting winded, fuzzy headed or tired ... All of which would happen if I were to try this upright ...

My hope is that I'll regain enough muscle strength, heart and lungs included, so that my OI resolves itself. BUT if not, I'm keeping my body from getting deconditioned from lack of exercise ...

Any ideas on when that was taken ... it looked like a young Dr. Cheney .... tc ... x

Enid

I feel he right at severe stages and as condition improves (quite individual) doing as one is able but pacing oneself to avoid boom and bust type response. Muscle stretching only was a beginning for me.

xchocoholic

I feel he right at severe stages and as condition improves (quite individual) doing as one is able but pacing oneself to avoid boom and bust type response. Muscle stretching only was a beginning for me.

Exactly ... why don't these "researchers" ever include the details like this in one of those studies ? Where do they find these people ?

I'm still at the muscle stretching and building phase and that's after 4 months so some of us definitely need to go slowly .. if at all ... I couldn't have done this until last year. tc ... x