• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Alter Paper embargo ends today at 3:00pm, press conference today

LJS

Luke
http://www.nih.gov/news/health/aug2010/cc-23.htm

News Advisory
Scientists to discuss research on XMRV in blood, chronic fatigue syndrome

What:
Telebriefing by experts from the Food and Drug Administration, the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to respond to questions about this study. The paper is currently under embargo until Monday, August 23 at 3:00 p.m., by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Who:
Harvey Alter, M.D., Chief, Clinical Studies and Associate Director for Research, Department of Transfusion Medicine, NIH Clinical Center

Shyh-Ching Lo, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Tissue Safety Laboratory Program, Division of Cellular and Gene Therapies and Division of Human Tissues, Office of Cellular, Tissue and Gene Therapies, Food and Drug Administration Food and Drug Administration

Celia Witten, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Office of Cellular, Tissue and Gene Therapies, Food and Drug Administration

Hira Nakhasi, Ph.D., Director, Division of Emerging and Transfusion Transmitted Diseases, Office of Blood Research and Review, Food and Drug Administration
Steve Monroe, Ph.D., Director, Division of High-Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

When:
Monday, August 23, 3:01 p.m. EDT

How:
Reporters should call 1-888-677-4212 and enter passcode 9258555. For those unable to participate, the briefing will be available on replay approximately two hours after briefing concludes. For replay, dial 1-866-373-4990 and enter passcode 5711.

From NIH twitter account @NIHforHealth
News: Scientists to discuss research on XMRV in blood, chronic fatigue syndrome http://bit.ly/braQp4

Edit: "OneWaySurvival" called the NIH, see this post and obtained the following information: The call at 3:00pm EST is not for the general public and callers will be screened. The general public can all call in at 5:00pm EST to hear a reply of the teleconference.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Depending on how big a story this is seen to be by the media, we could see reports on Blombergs, Reuters, BBC online news pages very quickly indeed - UsedtobeperkyTina will know all about this but if reporters have been able to prepare most of their story beforehand by drawing on background stuff, they can drop the new info in very fast into already half-written reports and we could see stuff online within minutes - certainly within the hour, I'd have thought.

What do you think, Tina?

OneWaySurvival

From NIH Link: "Reporters should call 1-888-677-4212 and enter passcode 9258555."

I wonder how liberal their definition of "reporter" is? I want to be on that call! Anything stopping us?

I can't believe this is finally happening!!!

filfla4

I wonder how liberal their definition of "reporter" is? I want to be on that call! Anything stopping us?

Go for it!!!!! You could be an online journalist. I don't think there should be any professional accreditation required! My problem is that I'm on the other side of the world and would cost me too much!!

Kate_UK

From NIH Link: "Reporters should call 1-888-677-4212 and enter passcode 9258555."

I wonder how liberal their definition of "reporter" is? I want to be on that call! Anything stopping us?!

Wouldn't we be getting in the way of reporters who can get stuff printed in newspapers/major media?

dsdmom

Love that Monroe will be in on the call - isn't he the guy who avoided Mindy's questions about why the CDC couldn't find xmrv??

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Wouldn't we be getting in the way of reporters who can get stuff printed in newspapers/major media?

Yikes, yes, let's not screw up media access to such an important story for us - surely Cort and Mindy Kitei etc. will be doing the journalistic thing for us PWC. Let's not crash the system! If we bomb it this time, then next time they'll have to make it harder to get the info which will make it harder for journalists as well.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Thanks Ash. I was just about to ask if there was anyone out there without brain fog who could work out the Australia time.