• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Alter Paper embargo ends today at 3:00pm, press conference today

Sunshine

Just remember that no MLV is causal transmitted. It must be sexually, blood, or mother to child or via vaccine. Then you got a lonnnnngggg incubation time while the androgen's and cortisol whip up replication and THEN the whole mess is triggered by a common virus..

Hi, thanks for your long response and now this one. Very interesting.

What you described above, fits in perfectly with the adolescent/teen phenomena of youngsters developing ME/CFS overnight, after a common viral infection and not recovering.
(E.g. they had the MLV's anyway, and the virus and huge boost in adrogens in puberty was the trigger).

Vs......................

In their review Judith Prins (Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Netherlands) and colleagues state that different factors predispose people to CFS, trigger the onset of the condition, or perpetuate the syndrome. The factors currently known to predispose people to CFS include neuroticism, introversion, and inactivity in childhood. What causes chronic fatigue syndrome?. Dr Judith B. Prins, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, 840 Department of Medical Psychology, P.O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, Netherlands

The UK ME Association says ME/CFS could be hysteria.

''These problems are not unique to CFS. There are a number of these so-called functional syndromes. Arguments still continue as to their psychological, physical or hysterical origin”
(MEA Research & Scientific Bulletin: 2002: 9: page 4).

And the psych's say we can 'talk' ourselves out of ME/CFS!!!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5391312.stm

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...equences-found-in-cfs-patients-101316939.html

SILVER SPRING, Md., Aug. 23 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Researchers have found murine leukemia viruses (MLV) related gene sequences in blood samples collected from patients diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and some healthy blood donors, according to a study published online today by the scientific journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20090824/FDALOGO )

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20090824/FDALOGO )

Investigators from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research and the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, in collaboration with a physician scientist at Harvard Medical School, examined blood samples from 37 patients diagnosed with CFS and from 44 healthy blood donors.

MLV is a type of retrovirus known to cause cancer in mice. Several different MLV gene sequences were identified in samples from 32 of the 37 patients with CFS (87 percent) and 3 of the 44 (7 percent) healthy blood donors. Investigators performed DNA sequencing on all positively amplified samples to confirm MLV like gene sequences.

This study supports a previous investigation [Lombardi et al. Science October 23, 2009 326: 585] that showed XMRV, a genetic variant of MLV-like viruses, to be present in the blood of people with CFS. The study demonstrates a strong association between a diagnosis of CFS and the presence of MLV-like virus gene sequences in the blood. The study also showed that MLV-like viral gene sequences were detected in a small fraction of healthy blood donors. Although the statistical association with CFS is strong, this study does NOT prove that these retroviruses are the cause of CFS. Further studies are necessary to determine if XMRV or other MLV-related viruses can cause CFS.

A previous study, published in 2009, reported finding XMRV infections in a high percentage of CFS patients and a small percentage of healthy blood donors. However, several other studies from the United States (including a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), the United Kingdom, and the Netherlands have found no evidence of XMRV or other MLV-like viruses in the blood of people with CFS.

V99

Yaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sunshine

I love the way they didn't say that the negative XMRV findings weren't replication studies of the Lombardi et al, study.
Typical media spin to make the negative XMRV of Weasel seem as scientifically relevant as the positive, when they clearly were not!
:(

However, several other studies from the United States (including a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), the United Kingdom, and the Netherlands have found no evidence of XMRV or other MLV-like viruses in the blood of people with CFS.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...equences-found-in-cfs-patients-101316939.html

SOC

Causality

A question for someone with medical or medical research background --
I remember hearing something to the effect that a >50% correlation of a pathogen to illness, especially in the early days, indicates a 90-something percent chance of causality. NOTE: I DO NOT KNOW THIS. I'm trying to find out if there's legit info of this type out there.

It's true that ,technically, causality is not yet proved, but can we find info on how likely (or unlikely) it is the an 85% correlation does not indicate causality.

If we can find this information, it might help us deal with the media, who will hear the "causality not proven" and dismiss us. If we can say, "No, it's not yet proved, but the likelihood of causality is (whatever)%." we might face down some nay-sayers.

SOC

Love the links to the CDC for info on XMRV. :rolleyes: SHEESH!

Maybe I should go see what Forbes readers are being referred to....

LOL! The link to the CDC's XMRV info is not working -- at least not for me.

Sunshine

Good comments. Dr Peterson said in 2009 CFSAC/HHS? XMRV presentation there was a known case of person to person CFS (via blood transfusion) in the USA and one is XMRV+ and mentioned something about lawyers.

I hope these people 'come out', as there is direct causality.

Of note, HIV only had one replication study to confirm HIV causes AIDS. There were also cases of proven person to person transmission in the blood.

ME/CFS patients who suspect they passed on their illness to partners through intimacy need to chase up boyfriends/girlfriends and if these people are still sick with ME/CFS all get tested!
I'm sure within 12 months of this FDA paper, someone somewhere will do this and if both positive, then tell someone.

I think in the US the Red Cross keeps note of the names of the people who donate blood? Conversely I'm sure in the UK it's anonymous and donors cannot be traced. :( 'Catching' ME/CFS within a few days of a blood transfusion of someone with XMRV would be evidence of XMRV causes CFS.

Until then, wel'll have to wait for the WPI and more tests. I'm sure they know something already.

Sunshine

CDC suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As additional studies are done, it is possible that new findings may emerge that differ from what has been previously reported.

Translation, ''we lied''.