• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dopamine beta hydroxylase testing - OAT vs. Regular test

Peyt

Hi all,
I am looking for some education here.
I just went to a neurologist yesterday and based on my POTS symptoms and also blood pooling to my legs/constant headaches and result of my Cranial Doppler which showed 39% drop of blood flow to the head upon standing for more than 15 minutes the Neurologist wants to do a dopamine beta hydroxylase test.

I had an OAT test done just a few months ago which showed my HVA / HMA ratio at 1.1.. (1.4 : 1.5) .. The OAT test was ordered by my N.D. and honestly I don't think the Neurologist even knows that test....

So my question is: since OAT did not detect a problem about conversation of Dopamine to Norepenephrine (which is what we are trying to detect here) do you think a regular Dopamine Beta Hydroxylase test could show anything different? Is it useful to do the test? Perhaps mechanism of detecting is different?(hopefully) ... For those who understand what I am trying to ask here please educate me. thanks

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am looking for some education here.
I just went to a neurologist yesterday and based on my POTS symptoms and also blood pooling to my legs/constant headaches and result of my Cranial Doppler which showed 39% drop of blood flow to the head upon standing for more than 15 minutes the Neurologist wants to do a dopamine beta hydroxylase test.

I had an OAT test done just a few months ago which showed my HVA / HMA ratio at 1.1.. (1.4 : 1.5) .. The OAT test was ordered by my N.D. and honestly I don't think the Neurologist even knows that test....

So my question is: since OAT did not detect a problem about conversation of Dopamine to Norepenephrine (which is what we are trying to detect here) do you think a regular Dopamine Beta Hydroxylase test could show anything different? Is it useful to do the test? Perhaps mechanism of detecting is different?(hopefully) ... For those who understand what I am trying to ask here please educate me. thanks

Hi,

Any updates? I just came across this thread.

What treatments are available for Dopamine Beta Hydroxylase issues? I know zinc prevents the conversion to NE and copper encourages it but I'm hesitant to take high dose zinc for the rest of my days.

Peyt

Hi,

Any updates? I just came across this thread.

What treatments are available for Dopamine Beta Hydroxylase issues? I know zinc prevents the conversion to NE and copper encourages it but I'm hesitant to take high dose zinc for the rest of my days.
Thanks for checking in. I did take that test. I used the Great Plains Lab's kit. Have not received the answer yet but should be getting it next week.... Meanwhile, my neurologist had me try an injection called AMOVIG for my recurring headaches and it's been 10 days and I have been headache free.... The injection should be good for a whole month, so we shall see. It does not do anything for my Tachycardia or blood pooling to my legs... I am using some homeopathic remedies for the blood pooling that has been very helpful but not sure if it would work for everyone so I did not post it.