• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dopa responsive headache: Restless head syndrome or a cephalic variant of restless legs syndrome? 2020

pattismith

Dopa responsive headache:

Restless head syndrome or a cephalic variant of restless legs syndrome?

Sanjay Prakash1 and Anurag Prakash2

Abstract
Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a common but highly undiagnosed sensorimotor disorder. It typically affects the lower extremities. However, various other parts of the body can be involved, such as the arms, the abdomen, the face, the oral cavity, head-neck, and the genital area.

In addition, RLS is linked with a large number of comorbid conditions, including various headache disorders.

Herein we are reporting two cases of RLS who also had headaches. The headaches fulfilled the criteria of chronic tension-type headache (CTTH).

The administration of levodopa provided improvement in both RLS and CTTH. We suggest that that headache in a subset of patients with RLS may be the part of RLS symptoms complex.
Keywords: Dopamine, headache, restless legs syndrome

Go to:
Introduction

Restless legs syndrome (RLS) typically involves legs. However, several reports suggest that other body parts such as arms, abdomen, face, oral cavity, and genital area may be involved.[1]

In addition, RLS is linked with a large number of comorbid conditions, including various headache disorders.[2,3] Herein, we are reporting two cases of RLS who also had tension-type headache (TTH). Both headaches and RLS responded to levodopa therapy.

sb4

Interestingly an onset of headaches for me is nicotine gum. If I have too many I get a headache.

As far as I am aware nicotine increases dopamine. This gets me motivated and productive for around 20minutes so I can get some work done. After that I feel quite a bit worse than baseline for an hour plus. It's almost not worth it but I guess I'm addicted now.

Anyway If I have a nicotine gum whilst I have a headache the headache goes away mostly for this 20minutes but then comes back worse after. This suggests that the raise in dopamine is lasting for around 20 mins then a reduction of dopamine follows for the next hour or two.

Violeta

This might be related to the Japanese study that showed inflammation in the area of the brain surrounding the basal ganglia in ME/CFS patients and that James Lab Stanford confirmed.

Here is the thread.
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...roinflammation-in-me-subcortical-brain.80923/

So I am wondering if restless leg and the headache that is relieved with l dopa are caused by oxidative stress, and if melatonin would help.

"ONOO− causes a concentration-dependent and irreversible reduction in dopamine uptake by EM4 cells stably expressing the human dopamine transporter (hDAT)"

and then

"Peroxynitrite is a toxic oxidant formed from the reaction of superoxide and nitric oxide under conditions of inflammation and oxidant stress. Here we demonstrate that the pineal neurohormone melatonin inhibits peroxynitrite-mediated oxidant processes. ... Thus, melatonin appears to be a scavenger of peroxynitrite."

I used to have restless leg syndrome and sometimes all body restlessness; I don't have it too often anymore, but when I do I take Butcher's Broom, and it helps very quickly.

Also, since I have been taking tyrosine and Butcher's Broom I haven't been waking up with a sick headache that makes me feel as though I can't move.

Parkinson's is a good thing to research for clues when you have ME/CFS.

Last edited: