• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Don't know what to do about spinal pain

overtheedge

Been getting a lot of spine pain recently, so much so that I'm finding it hard to stay asleep and it's making my CFS worse since I cant comfortably lie down which is something I need to do in order to keep my energy together. Is anyone else here who spends most of their days lying flat in bed getting spinal issues?

I haven't been particularly good to my spine, I usually sit up in bed propped up against pillows which have a lot of give to them whenever I'm on the computer and I sleep on memory foam which isn't too supportive, can't do anything about the memory foam as the back pain I had before switching to memory foam rivaled the spine pain I'm feeling now though I'm open to ideas for ways to modify things but I'm not sure if this is something that can be caused by slouching and being in bed all day or not.

As far as issues go it happens that when I stretch in a way that causes my spine to maneuver such as turning my torso to either side or arching my back I hear a bunch of small snaps from the areas that hurt and if I rotate around a bit I feel a sort of resistance of the spine to move around smoothly at times, it catches for an instant at a certain spot partway down my spine then once it darts past that spot it moves smoothly again, perhaps I'm making it sound worse than it is, it is something that is definitely noticeable when I'm moving my spine around to stretch but I'm not sure I'd notice it if I wasn't focused on my spine. It's been about a week and a half now that this latest spine pain has been round, usually it would have dissipated by now. I'm thinking about using ice packs on my spine but am not sure. I've had a lot of other weeks here and there where I've had similar spine pain though a lot of those times the pain was less constant but more severe when it did show up, causing lightning like pains that would shoot up my spine and make me correct my posture rapidly

I don't know if I should see a chiropractor or some other form of doctor about this, don't really know how diagnostic chiropractors are or if I should seek out a certain type of chiropractor or what.

taniaaust1

I don't know if I should see a chiropractor or some other form of doctor about this, don't really know how diagnostic chiropractors are or if I should seek out a certain type of chiropractor or what.

hi, You certainly do need to see someone about your back for advice and help and I would suggest either a chiropractor or a physio who has special training in manipulation (I have what is called an orthopedic physio I often used, I would not be able to walk today if it wasnt for her manipulations)

One of my chiropractors once told me that there are 80?-90? (I cant remember the exact number) of different kinds of training/schools/methods taught to chiropractors but they are all just called "chiropractors" but one may work completely differently to another due to different training. So if one isnt helpful it may be helpful to find another. The ones I found the worst are the ones which tell you from the start that you will need say 10 treatments (they have a set number rather then just going by how your body responds.. I suggest to avoid any who tell you something like that).

I know myself from seeing chiropractors over the years that some were completely useless to me while others were amazing. All I can suggest is ask if your family and friends have one they really recommend. (Out of about 10 I saw, only 2 of them those I found were any help to me! One of those had people flying from overseas to come and see him, he was also an amazing homeoepath too).

I used to have constant dizziness and thought it was due to my POTS and ME/CFS but it turned out i was related to neck problems I didnt even know I still had till my neck was worked on by a chiropractor. He fixed 3-4 years constant dizziness I had in just one session (though I did need a couple of follow up ones when that came back).

when I stretch in a way that causes my spine to maneuver such as turning my torso to either side or arching my back I hear a bunch of small snaps from the areas that hurt and if I rotate around a bit I feel a sort of resistance of the spine to move around smoothly at times, it catches for an instant at a certain spot partway down my spine then once it darts past that spot it moves smoothly again,

I had that same issue too except with mine I didnt hear snaps with it.. but I had that fixed. That is why Im definately saying you need to go and see someone as things like that often do not fix themselves and with time only became even more of a problem with even more restricted movement.

One way I tell now who is a good chiropractor or manipulative physio (I probably saw 6-7 physios.. only ONE of those I ever found helpful and that that was the one with the extra orthopedic qualifications) or not after seeing so many over the years is that if I go to one and find it didnt help at all in one treatment (not even a tiny bit in some way be in more flexibility, less pain or whatever). I tend to seek out a new one or only give them one more chance at the most.

I do that based on Ive found that those who cant bring any help to me on their first or second treatment.. tend to end up not helping me at all even after Ive done 6-10 treatments. The ones which did help, I always find they helped a bit from the start.

best luck

jesse's mom

I got a Far Infrared Heating pad from Amazon. Not anything like a normal heating pad
There is a thread about it on the forum.

Use cbd cream and essential oils such as arnica, copiaba, peppermint, lavender- all good pain relievers for back pain. Just rub the essential oil on the problem areas

Mary

Moderator Resource
@overtheedge - years ago my back was spasming very badly and I saw an osteopath - and in one treatment (!) - it was unbelievable, my back was probably 75% better. But I no longer live near him. He did a lot of gentle manipulation, I don't know what he did, it didn't hurt but it was amazing.

And I've seen several chiropractors over the years, and some are good. But if I was able to see an osteopath for back problems, that would be my first choice.

One other thing you might try is magnesium oil - it can help inflammation and pain very quickly. just apply where it hurts. I've recommended it to many people over the years and they're always very surprised at how quickly it can help. It's not really an oil, it's in a salt-based solution so if you get some in a cut, it will sting. And if you apply it repeatedly over a period of time, it can cause your skin to dry out. So you can either wash off the salt residue maybe 20 - 30 minutes after application, or I just apply some lotion after applying the magnesium oil and that works too.

overtheedge

So I just went to a chiropractor and had some xrays done and some cold packs put on my back while a TENS or some other form of electrical stimulation machine was used on my spine; placed one pad on either side of my spine and turned up the electricity to the point just below where it would hurt/be uncomfortable. Going back in tomorrow to see the results of xrays and to make a plan with the chiropractor but gotta say the pain is much lessened from the ice pack and electro treatment. I've been using ice packs in the last few days but didnt get results as good as this so it's probly the electro machine.

I will say I've used a TENS machine I bought on amazon for back pain with good effect but I stopped using it because I don't know if it will heal the tissues or just stop the nerves from reporting pain though with the spine, which I never considered using the tens on, the pain might be all a nerve thing so maybe this is the right answer. I've read that tens are good for sports injuries and such since they kill the pain but people have to be careful since the pain being gone doesn't mean the injury is healed and thus the person can end up being careless and causing more damage. That is sort of why I stopped using the tens, figured I shouldn't be putting thoughtlessly putting pressure on muscles and tissue that are sending out pain signals though I don't know for certain

@taniaaust1 Interesting what you say about being able to tell the doctors ability from one or two treatments, will definitely keep that in mind

@jesse's mom I've seen those Far Infrared mats on amazon, have it in the saved for later part of the shopping cart. How's it helped you? or point me in the direction of the thread you mentioned if your description is there, if you would

@Pinetree53 are there any good online sources for CBD cream, I haven't found any CBD stuff on amazon just hemp oil stuff, and my local area doesn't have too much in the way of such products

jesse's mom

@overtheedge , is your avatar the child's story... when he is babysitting and follows the list for him and his sister...? Oh what a wonderful book!!! Please remind me the name os I can order it for my granddaughter!

Some CBD products are at Elixinol.com and thrivehealthms.com. Both of these sources are good as they are organic and so not use hemp that was grown to clear farms from pesticides and such... anyhow you can read for yourself why that is important.

overtheedge

@jesse's mom Sorry, I really don't know anything about my picture, it just looked cool to me when I was going round the internet. I did a google search of the image and it seems that it was just some doodle a dude drew at a swimming party, couldn't find anything else on it.

Thank you for the info on CBD

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I love my chiropractor and we also started using an osteopath for my mom's rib cage. Both are wonderful but you have to get one that will adjust everything that needs adjusting otherwise there's no point.

It's like building blocks, if you only adjust the top ones, the bottom ones still out of alignment can make the whole thing unstable and visa versa. Our chiropractor does our whole spine every single time--top to bottom--whatever needs adjusting, he adjusts.

I had one in my teens that only did the atlas and I was in so much pain, I would sometimes have to go back same day for another adjustment. We finally switched to a whole spine chiro and that's when I started to improve.