• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dog breeds that can be housebound only?

Jenny TipsforME

@Dechi she doesn't show any aptitude for killing rodents, seemed to view garden rats as her pets and she was quite put out that we wanted them gone :rofl:

Chihuahuas probably do better but I'm not convinced any young, healthy dogs want to be inside all the time.

Barking is another consideration if you're noise intolerant.

Maria1

Silence speaks volumes
I got a puppy last year, rather impulsively. I have a chorkie- chihuaha/ Yorkie cross. She's 3/4 Chihuahua (I still don't know how to spell it!), and 18 months old. It was quite overwhelming getting a puppy. It felt as if I had a new born baby to look after, and I couldn't have done it without the help of my children.

She is incredibly active and I try to get her out (me or others) for an hour off lead and then half an hour or so later each day. She is very playful but happy playing fetch with me sitting on the sofa.

She would spend longer walking if she could, although not when it's raining!

I'm not sure there is any breed which does not need to be walked every day. However I know many people who work all day who have dogs and employ a dog walker. I'm not sure dogs should be left alone all day and, if you are at home all the time, it could be great for the dog, as long as: you have the energy to play with them; they can spend some time outside; and they get some chance to meet with other dogs regularly.

I got my dog, Lola, when I was feeling a significant improvement in symptoms. I was also feeling quite low because I was doing so little, but I didn't feel well enough to go back to work or volunteer. Unfortunately I'm not doing so well now, and the dog is taking all my energy. BUT she gives me so much happiness I wouldn't have it any other way. I have teenage children and it's been wonderful for them. She is s very positive force in our little family.

I am worried that I am getting worse because I'm doing too much walking, which is a struggle. In some ways I'm fitter from the walking, and mentally it has done me the world of good. I don't really have answers, but I thought my experience might help.