• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does massive temp / baro / humidity change spike your symptoms

ebethc

It's humidity that I find hard but I've always assumed that it is the POTS which is worse. Thunderstorms are OK in cold weather but not in hot as an example.

So , do u think it's the combo of heat and humidity?

I think that combo is bad but humidity in any form (above ~45%) is negative

ebethc

Me too . I started going down in Late October every year. Thought it might have to do with the heating system or sunlight. This lead me to think about environmental triggers.
. Dr's said this could be seasonal affective disorder. I tried ssri and a sunlamp no effect at all and my symptoms were more physical felt like I had the flu all the time which lead to the end of my career in March 2010.

I just turned the heat off and it is only 52. But I am going nuts today. May go through a hotel. Tempted to take prednisone but I know that is not the answer. Tried on 2 shirts and reacted to them . Ugh!

I am affected by low sunlight too.... def have to take extra vitamin d in the winter... also use sunlamp... same here w the chronic flu... it's the worst

Algal DHA (DHA from algae vs fish oil) is a great anti inflammatory and also clears toxins from the glymphatic system (the brains lymphatic system)... started taking it again this week

Also, I just started taking pancreatic enzymes, wobenzym, which are amazing for pain and stiffness... I have to take a high dose, so it gets expensive..., after trying a million things, I highly recommend DHA and wobie for pain & inflammation, not a cure all, but best thing

Last edited:

ebethc

This did not happen at all near Death Valley even when it rained all day.

I was originally diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I don't have much pain anymore but still have Cfs. I have periods of wellness when I can sleep outside. I have been ill for 7 years . I have periods of relative wellness but it is a roller coaster right now. I am sitting outside on my porch in rainy 52 degree weather and my head is clearing up.

I have " recovered " from fibro ( yes had massive increases of pain when barometric pressure dropped. ) In mold avoiders it mentions mold spores being released when the barometer falls so it may be a double whammy.

I attribute this to " mold". I get really bad emotional symptoms which quickly dissipate if I rinse my face and hair. Too weird to go into with doctors except my family doctor who has known me for 15 years.

I don't think my problem is mold because washing my face, etc doesn't fix anything... I did think it was mold for awhile, and am still somewhat open to the idea (fixing my drain can make me feel a little woozy, so I know that mold feeling) it's just not my core problem

Interesting that barometer drops trigger mold spore release

we had a massive temp change this week - a rare occurrence where I currently live... it was in the 80s F 1.5 days ago and it's currently 52 F... the humidity was ~40% and now it's 96%.. high humidity really bothers me, barometric pressure drops, too

I've had a rough few nights, wide awake in pain and massive skin itching! I don't know what the skin itching is all about, but I'm trying not to panic and assume bed bugs or something drastic because it's happened before when the seasons change and the weather fluctuates... I wish I understood ... ugh

Are big temp or humidity or barometer fluctuations a trigger for you?

It's mold. That's the reason for your CFS. Washing your face does not help getting rid of the mold as it gets inside your nasal cavities and the rest of your body. After an exposure it could take 1-2 weeks to get it out, given that you aren't rexposed. Your only option is to live in the desert for the rest of your life.

ebethc

@stolpioni

What does weather change have to do with mold?

Btw - this has been a lifelong problem, lived in multiple cities, and multiple locations within each city.... pollution is def a trigger, and lately I've been thinking that perhaps I should live in the middle of nowhere to avoid pollution, but then how would I survive? At least in civilization I can limp along, be close to good doctors, and work between periods of recuperation... I'm honestly not sure about mold... humidity may trigger mold, but not necessarily toxic mold (i.e. A lot of mold is benign) Laura Hillenbrand - famous CFS sufferer - lives in hood river Oregon, which is very damp. She has the money to live anywhere she wants .. so, I don't see the argument for "mold=CFS" ... it CAN equal CFS, but not necessarily so, and probably not in my case

@stolpioni

What does weather change have to do with mold?

A lot. Humidity and rain increases mold spores. You just said that when the humidity increased you started to feel bad. That's a telling sign right there. Also mold does not have to be toxic once you're sick. Any mold will cause problems.

Laura Hillenbrand may not have mold issues. CFS is not a single disease but several different ones with similar symptoms.