• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does lyme not cause M.E.?

JES

Yeah, I don't really agree that SEID doesn't have pain, I bet over half of the people on these forums experience some kind of pain. Even more strange is to state that ME/CFS doesn't cause pain and depression, but Lyme does. I have seen no evidence to suggest post-Lyme patients have more depression than ME/CFS.

My opinion is that both chronic Lyme and ME/CFS may be significantly overlapping and may be triggered by a similar mechanism following an acute infection. It's just that in the case of chronic Lyme, people can often point to a tick bite and hence a particular pathogen that started the mess. But to separate those two may not be practical, just the way we are not separating enterovirus, Giardia or mold triggered ME/CFS.

Last edited:
Lyme can cause post-lyme syndrome which is basically a type of ME/CFS, but many might have chronic lyme instead and its just undiagnosed (like it is in my case - 1 of about 20 doctors thinks I have it, though I am certain that I do for various reasons).