• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone know anything about amino acid interpretation? Very high glutamic acid but low glutamine. Why?

Sophiedw

Glutamine 200 ref range 280-600 umol/L
Glutamic acid 455 ref range 50-390 umol/L

these results are in plasma.

what might this mean is going on metabolically?
How might I correct this? Thanks

vision blue

You might be interested in thi.s. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8841951/.
Low plasma glutamine in combination with high glutamate levels indicate risk for loss of body cell mass in healthy individuals: the effect of N-acetyl-cysteine.

Maybe mitochondrial support and NAC would be of use?

Questions for you: 1) were you fasting for the blood test. 2) what is ykur valur for taurine (and the ref range) 3) have you also taken a urine amino acid?

@gregh286 What brand of broad amino acids do you use in shakes?

Sophiedw

Hmmm this is a good point. I had not been able to eat much at all for several days previous to the blood test because of ulceration in my mouth (which is why I was getting the test)

Taurine is high

160 ref range 25-170
So almost out of range.

I have not taken a urine amino acid test but I oils like one. I will report back if I get one.

andyguitar

Taurine raises GABA levels, so it might elevated as a result of the body trying to raise GABA and then spill over into the blood. Or it might be something else.

Glutamine 200 ref range 280-600 umol/L
Glutamic acid 455 ref range 50-390 umol/L

these results are in plasma.

what might this mean is going on metabolically?
How might I correct this? Thanks
Honestly, I think low plasma GLN is the most important biomarker. The brain depends on high GLN in the blood to maintain GLU and GABA in the CNS. Nitrogen balance, pH balance, protein synthesis, immune system function, neuroplasticity, wound healing, gut barrier function, DNA/RNA replication, etc... all depend on adequate endogenous GLU synthesis. After 13 years of hell, I just discovered my deficiency.

If you've had a long history of GERD/gastritis/LPR, etc... your gut's demand for Glutamine may have created a long-term deficit everywhere else. It's just a theory, but I think it's a good one.

Aminos.png