• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone else have low ferritin and normal red blood cells?

wabi-sabi

Seems like there might be a connection between low iron and mast cell problems.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29120476/

Linking iron-deficiency with allergy: role of molecular allergens and the microbiome​

Abstract​

Atopic individuals tend to develop a Th2 dominant immune response, resulting in hyperresponsiveness to harmless antigens, termed allergens. In the last decade, epidemiological studies have emerged that connected allergy with a deficient iron-status. Immune activation under iron-deficient conditions results in the expansion of Th2-, but not Th1 cells, can induce class-switching in B-cells and hampers the proper activation of M2, but not M1 macrophages. Moreover, many allergens, in particular with the lipocalin and lipocalin-like folds, seem to be capable of binding iron indirectly via siderophores harboring catechol moieties. The resulting locally restricted iron-deficiency may then lead during immune activation to the generation of Th2-cells and thus prepare for allergic sensitization. Moreover, iron-chelators seem to also influence clinical reactivity: mast cells accumulate iron before degranulation and seem to respond differently depending on the type of the encountered siderophore. Whereas deferoxamine triggers degranulation of connective tissue-type mast cells, catechol-based siderophores reduce activation and degranulation and improve clinical symptoms. Considering the complex interplay of iron, siderophores and immune molecules, it remains to be determined whether iron-deficiencies are the cause or the result of allergy.

I do. My hemoglobin and erythrocytes are normal but ferritin is low. I don’t think i have MCAS but i do have HI. It’s very well managed with diet and quercetin though.

pattismith

I was just wondering...

Is this something that goes with ME/CFS generally or is it my period? Did anyone with low iron take supplements and feel better?
I had low ferritin all my life but usually normal red blood cells (anemia only on one occasion when my ferritin was at it's worst).

Low ferritin is a risk factor for ADHD and restless legs.
Low ferritin produces low dopamine in the brain, and low dopamine can drive pain and sleepiness.

I found that iron supplementation helps me a bit with both pain and sleepiness.

Keep in mind that low ferritin can be a sign of poor iron intestinal absorption and also that some gastric diseases can cause low ferritin.

I've recently been feeling awful, with POTS symptoms and ADHD like cognitive function. My ferritin has been within normal range, but on the low side of normal, so my GP recommended taking a multi-vit with iron. My symptoms are reducing now, but I am going to be assessed for ADHD, because it has made me realise that I have it, and it was just exacerbated by my recent physical health issues.