• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone else finds cold environment to be a life saver?

lenora

Good Morning Everyone..... I still have hot times at age 73, live in a hot climate, Dallas, TX and find that the summer brings respite from my (this year) all year-round allergies. Thankfully! I always end up with bronchitis, costochondritis and finally an infection of some sort or another.

Winters can be a problem with extremely cold feet and hands (I wear gloves). We both like lower temperatures on the thermostat, though. So, your body does change and yes, a lot of it is the ME and other problems. I don't think there is a perfect climate, humidity is hard on us as well as a real drop in barometric temps. Days of rain are fine once the drop occurs (usually the day before), but we pay for the rise in humidity afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starsister

Havent posted on here for awhile so dont recall how to highlight parts of above post. But this caught my attention as I more lately have been having trouble with the “ burning brain”. But also my awareness has been raised about inflammation in my body so I now relate some symptoms to inflammation that i hadn't for years.

My face and head start to burn when a lot of emotions rise up..good and bad feelings. Just intense conversation that i used to love i have to take in small doses. Then Ive learned to put one or two i e packs over my head, face and neck. Top of my head is great spot for relief, wish there were a way to strap it on top so i could hold other ice packs elsewhere.

Ive always hated the cold, neuropathy and Raynauds in hands and feet very painful. But this summer Ive been keeling AC colder than ever, and especially at night I have to turn so cold ..the rest of my body at times can be freezing at 75 degrees but my feet and legs burning. So I goto bed with extra heavy layers of pjs on top and my legs no pjs or blanket. Although i cant handle blowing AC on face so use bamboo sheets that dont make me legs hot yet i can put my face under and keeps air pressure off. Trucky as often my face needs the cold air along with my below waist. Ive just accepted im always going to be a combo of hot and cold at same time, and the parts that are one may be opposite in an hour or two. Constant struggle of readjusting. Thank heaven I live alone! Im sure its related to the neurological effects of ME.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I can't imagine anyone else would have figured out your recipe for your unusual 'tea'. The cinnamon and ginger would be bad for me. :(
I agree .... it took me a long time and a lot of experimentation before I discovered the benefits of this odd little concoction, first thing in the AM ....

If I'm recalling right, you get benefit from cumin, yes? I use it as an excellent spice in cooking, but as far as any other benefits, nada .....

It's really annoyifying that we're all so effing different, especially in regards to what helps/hurts ....

Starsister

@YippeeKi YOW !! and everyone..I read the anti inflammatory benefits of turmeric / curcumin dissipate after a few minutes of cookings, so ive been sprinkling it on cold foods...and popcorn!

Wishful

extremely cold feet and hands (I wear gloves)

I wear gloves (or mitts) much of the year. :) If it's not protection from physical damage, it's the cold, or it's protection from bugs. I was wearing welding gauntlets on my walk today because my other gloves expose a bit of wrist skin, and blackflies zero in on that. By the time it's cold enough to drive bugs away, it's back to gloves for warmth.

lenora

I wear gloves (or mitts) much of the year. :) If it's not protection from physical damage, it's the cold, or it's protection from bugs. I was wearing welding gauntlets on my walk today because my other gloves expose a bit of wrist skin, and blackflies zero in on that. By the time it's cold enough to drive bugs away, it's back to gloves for warmth.

Hi Wishful....Are you Canadian to be referring to blackflies? I'm not aware of Americans using that term, unless perhaps they do nearer the border. Yes, I wear fingerless gloves in the winter. I pull them down just so the very tips of my fingers stick out. I can't say they match anything (my husband's taste) but they help immensely. It seems to get worse with each passing year. Even in my early 20's I had super cold hands and feet, but it's ridiculous now. Stay free of itching. Yours Lenora.

raghav

I cannot tolerate summer heat in my city Chennai and I have to spend the daytimes in my airconditioned bedroom. I also get an immediate boost in energy when I take bath. I think it involves both cooling of body and removal of salt deposit from sweat on my skin. I get energy boost during winter when I take a hot bath as it is always above 90% humidity in my city throughout the year.

valentinelynx

Oh God, is it ever ..... and screw all that bullshite , "Yes but it's a dry heat you know .... "

Bite me.

So is a pizza oven, and there's a lot of similarity between those two.

Have you tried escaping up Mt Lemmon? I had old family friends with a big spread in Sabino Cnyn, and we'd often hie ourselves off to the loftier reaches of Mt Lemmon, where it was downright cold, even in the middle of summer..... it was heaven. ....

But after the Big Horn fire, I'm not sure what access would be like .....

It's like some vicious unassailable force is wheeling it's way around the West and Southwest and trying to burn the whole damn thing to the ground, one piece at a time. And I'm only half-way kidding ....

Good thoughts! I haven't convinced my hubby to go up to Mt. Lemmon yet, although we've been here for 11 years. Unfortunately, now the road is closed after the Bighorn Fire, possibly until November 2020. The fire was finally extinguished by the big monsoon rain we had 2 days ago, but the damage and runoff from the fire is horrendous. It essentially burned the whole of the Catalinas, with Summerhaven spared thanks to the firefighters. The day of the rains was wonderful: the temperature in Tucson was in the 70s all day! Very humid, though. Smells so nice after the rain!

lenora

I cannot tolerate summer heat in my city Chennai and I have to spend the daytimes in my airconditioned bedroom. I also get an immediate boost in energy when I take bath. I think it involves both cooling of body and removal of salt deposit from sweat on my skin. I get energy boost during winter when I take a hot bath as it is always above 90% humidity in my city throughout the year.

Hello @raghav.....Above 90% humidity, Wow! that's quite astounding, especially with with the heat. I've found (and I live in a hot climate, Dallas, TX) that the humidity is by far a worse culprit than the heat. If the humidity is high, you can count on a miserable day even if it's only 80 degrees. I'd not leave my air conditioned bedroom, either. That's very hot, indeed. It's the same in many places with heat and high-humidity.

I agree that a bath or shower can give one a boost, especially if you're sweating so much. You're quite correct, salt on the body like that can involve extra irritation to the skin via the sweat. Do you have monsoons that arrive in India in about September, isn't it? (Sorry, I won't even pretend to know about India.....I've never been there, although have watched a lot of documentaries and wonderful British productions about it. Still, in person is best.

I'm just glad that you're happy enough to stay in for that long. Good. Take care. Yours, Lenora

YippeeKi YOW !!

The fire was finally extinguished by the big monsoon rain we had 2 days ago, but the damage and runoff from the fire is horrendous. It essentially burned the whole of the Catalinas, with Summerhaven spared thanks to the firefighters. The day of the rains was wonderful: the temperature in Tucson was in the 70s all day! Very humid, though. Smells so nice after the rain!
I've tried to avoid reading too much about the fire, have too many happy memories of Tucson, Sabino Cnyn, Mt Lemmon, and the Catalina Foothills, and it;s just heartbreaking.

Two years ago, my now-deceased grandparents lovely rambling ranch, graced by redwood forests and wonderful free-roaming wildlife up near Calistoga burned to the ground, along with all the neighboring properties, and it almost broke my heart. All those memories, just ashes now, blowing around the skeletal remains of the vineyards.

Now the places I loved in Arizona seem doomed.

The longer you live, the harder it seems to get ...

Oh crap, sorry to be a bummer .... onward and upward :rocket::rocket: !!!!

You're right, the smell after those torrential squalls that used to brew up in the summer was heavenly !!!! It seemed to slow the pace of everything to something much gentler then the sometimes 105 degree weather provided, and the sunsets were superb !!!

Thank you for bringing back that very sweet memory, Lynx :heart: :hug::hug:

I miss all that.

valentinelynx

Thank you for bringing back that very sweet memory, Lynx :heart::hug::hug:

You're very welcome. Yes, the fires in the West are bad and getting worse, it seems. But you'll be happy to know that Sabino Canyon, while closed due to the fire and fire damage in the mountains, is fine. Summerhaven is OK, too, but temporarily closed, which must be very hard on the tourist business. However, I just read that, although most of Mt. Lemmon will be closed until Nov. 1, it's expected that the Catalina Hwy will be opened much sooner, to allow people to visit Summerhaven. They just have to do some road repairs. Perhaps I can get myself and hubby motivated to visit when that happens...

lenora

I'm glad to hear that @valentinelynx. My brother-in-law (my sister is dead) never mentioned any fires in their portion of the forest, very close to where they live. Even though they're in the city...it's just downhill, and across the street are large apartment bldgs. there's always some activity. Not this year, though....thankfully. How much of this do you think is also do to arson? My sister used to tell me that the homeless set a large portion of the fires by lighting fires to cook or get warm in the cooler temps., and then they took off from there. It's amazing there aren't more people killed in the forests.

How long have you lived in Tucson? My brother-in-law was a firefighter in his younger years while he went back to school for another degree. Tough work. In those years, he spent a lot of time fighting fires in CA. Some years are horrid....just like tornadoes here in TX.

Yes, motivation is hard to find, sometimes. Why isn't your husband motivated to go and see the sights? Take good care. Yours, Lenora.

Wolfcub

I don't like that damp kind of cold so often in England. But I do very much like dry cold, even if it's well below freezing! I am not a really happy snow-shoveller....:lol: well, maybe for 20 minutes then my back hurts. But I love those bitter cold nights with moonlight/stars, and cold days with sunshine.

However....does the body like it? I am usually better in it and perk up. The thaw is my worst enemy. I always feel unwell when a thaw comes.

I get one blue finger and completely numb toes, so that might be a touch of Reynaud's. Have to be careful of those. Don't want to lose my toes and one finger. I wouldn't even know if I did as I can't feel 'em! :rofl:

Wolfcub

Two years ago, my now-deceased grandparents lovely rambling ranch, graced by redwood forests and wonderful free-roaming wildlife up near Calistoga burned to the ground, along with all the neighboring properties, and it almost broke my heart. All those memories, just ashes now, blowing around the skeletal remains of the vineyards.
That is desperately sad @YippeeKi YOW !! Oh my gosh! Were your grandparents alive when it happened? It must have broken their hearts if they had to experience that.

lenora

I don't like that damp kind of cold so often in England. But I do very much like dry cold, even if it's well below freezing! I am not a really happy snow-shoveller....:lol: well, maybe for 20 minutes then my back hurts. But I love those bitter cold nights with moonlight/stars, and cold days with sunshine.

However....does the body like it? I am usually better in it and perk up. The thaw is my worst enemy. I always feel unwell when a thaw comes.

I get one blue finger and completely numb toes, so that might be a touch of Reynaud's. Have to be careful of those. Don't want to lose my toes and one finger. I wouldn't even know if I did as I can't feel 'em! :rofl:

Hi Wolfcub.....I've been in England in the winter and the cold there was the worst I've ever experienced. I couldn't formulate the reason then, but now I know it has to do with a drop in the barometric pressure, mixed with a drop in temperature and of course, our old friend humidity.

I, too, used to love untouched snow with the stars glisteneing off it. So peaceful; so beautiful. Weather changes I've found are the biggest bugaboos, this because of my own experiences and listening to the experiences of so many others.

Yes, I'll also watch out for Raynaud's as again, cold hands and feet not only hurt, but can cause damage. Because I no longer really walk (except around the house), I don't feel the super cold and wind. Do I like it...no, but it is what it is. Hey, I'm still walking and using my arms and legs, just not very well. Summers in England are quite pleasant, even with the rain, because the temps. and rainfall are more stable. Although one summer in particular was downright hot. So, yes, I know it happens....we used to have the same problem when visiting my mother in PA. I think weather fuels a lot of uncomfortable and painful feelings in us. I hope you're doing well. Yours, Lenora.

YippeeKi YOW !!

That is desperately sad @YippeeKi YOW !! Oh my gosh! Were your grandparents alive when it happened? It must have broken their hearts if they had to experience that.
Its good to see you @Wolfcub .... I was contemplating a R U OK in the Updates and Follow-Ups thread cause I dont remember seeing you posting lately ....

No, both fortunately and unfortunately, they predeceased the fire and it would have broken their hearts. Everything was gone, all the guest cottages for visitng family and friends, g'dad's extensive workshop, g'mother's enormous basement, previously filled to the rafters with her incredible, delicious canned everything ..... all swept away ....all gone.

valentinelynx

I'm glad to hear that @valentinelynx. My brother-in-law (my sister is dead) never mentioned any fires in their portion of the forest, very close to where they live. Even though they're in the city...it's just downhill, and across the street are large apartment bldgs. there's always some activity. Not this year, though....thankfully. How much of this do you think is also do to arson? My sister used to tell me that the homeless set a large portion of the fires by lighting fires to cook or get warm in the cooler temps., and then they took off from there. It's amazing there aren't more people killed in the forests.

How long have you lived in Tucson? My brother-in-law was a firefighter in his younger years while he went back to school for another degree. Tough work. In those years, he spent a lot of time fighting fires in CA. Some years are horrid....just like tornadoes here in TX.

Yes, motivation is hard to find, sometimes. Why isn't your husband motivated to go and see the sights? Take good care. Yours, Lenora.

I don't know about other fires, but the Bighorn Fire was pretty definitely caused by lightning. We had some early monsoon activity the evening of June 5, with dry lightning. Lots of buffelgrass up there, and whoosh! My husband took photos, amazed, because in the beginning the smoke looked very much like a volcano. We had a good view of it from our house, although we were nowhere near.

Funny, my brother also works fires. He's not a firefighter per se, but a geologist, but has worked on firefighting in the summers in Northern California for many years, even in his 60's.

It's just hard to get my hubby out of the house. He's very much a homebody. Me, I love to see new things, and be in nature, even if it hurts to do it. He likes it once we're there, but doesn't typically initiate travel.