• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does any male take testosterone replacement therapy?

Richard7

I don't but my doctor did test my levels about 4 years ago and they were normal range : 22 nmol/L; range 9.5 -28.

So I guess that low testosterone was not an issue for me, but it was clearly something that my doctor wondered about.

Have you had your levels tested?

*GG*

My Dr regularly test my hormones. I take 50 mg of DHEA, 50 mg pregnenolone and 25 mg of Clomid about every other day. My Dr also test my thyroid and lots of other things!

GG

TiredBill

@Johnskip

After more than three decades managing CFS with some success, I went into a decline about a year ago.

With new (and more user-friendly) insurance via my wife's job in hand, I started pushing to see if there were any areas of my health that might be contributing to the rebound of fatigue. But all the tests and bloodwork came back "normal."

I accepted normal initially, but then started sifting through the tests (while battling brain-fog).

The first test that made me sit up was free testosterone. At 306 ng/dL I was 6 points over my health groups cut off for TRT despite the best medical evidence standing in opposition to such arbitrary cutoffs. I assembled medical studies, consulted by phone with a leading doctor in the field, got thrown out of the Chief of Endocrinology's office, but finally found a brave doctor who was willing to buck his boss.

For a year I've been injecting testosterone. First every-other week in office visits, then self-injecting once-a-week (the latter being much better as for me it eliminates highs and lows).

I can't say testosterone cured my CFS. It did not. But it helped cut fatigue, brain-fog, and promoted well-being and fitness. Life altering for me.

As I cleared mentally I saw my thyroid numbers were not optimal. Treating. Vitamin D was sub-normal. Treating. B12? Same.

Also discovered I have sleep apnea. Treating.

Together these therapies are helping a great deal. I'd rank the testosterone at the top of the list.

The experience has made be very aware that "normal" and "optimal" are very different measures.

Bill

Last edited: