• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you have Curcumin? Most effective?

Hi guys, I’m particularly interested in supplementing with Curcumin as I’ve read it can reduce brain inflammation

I know there is just debate in it’s bioavailability and LongVida seems to be king?

do you use it? What are you experiences?

what kind do you use?

LINE

I have been using it for 10 years or so. It has been very helpful, I use it with ashwaghanda, paprika and Ceylon cinnamon. I save money by buying in bulk (organic from Frontier). I mix this in warm water so it becomes more bioavailable.

I use CuraMed by Terry Naturally. Works well. I can definitely feel energy when I take it. Can't tell if it's additive energy over time, but do know if I remove for a time and add it back again I can feel a boost.

Don't confuse this with Curamin, which is also based on curcumin, but is a different animal.

Hip

I have a source for Nanocurcumin and might want to get that lab tested. Potency (bioavailability) should be a several hundred times higher (maybe a thousand)

NovaSOL curcumin is a nano-curcumin (curcumin particle size measured in nanometers).

Solgar sell a NovaSOL curcumin, but you can find the same NovaSOL more cheaply in other brands of curcumin supplement.

According to a pharmacokinetic calculation I did, comparing NovaSOL curcumin with Longvida curcumin, I found that in terms of the curcumin blood concentration levels obtained when taking these supplements orally, NovaSOL is much better:

£1 worth of Longvida gets a peak curcumin blood concentration of 83 nM
£1 worth of Solgar NovaSOL gets a peak curcumin blood concentration of 460 nM

So you can see you get much more bang for your buck with NovaSOL.

NovaSOL curcumin is a nano-curcumin (curcumin particle size measured in nanometers).

Solgar sell a NovaSOL curcumin, but you can find the same NovaSOL more cheaply in other brands of curcumin supplement.

According to a pharmacokinetic calculation I did, comparing NovaSOL curcumin with Longvida curcumin, I found that in terms of the curcumin blood concentration levels obtained when taking these supplements orally, NovaSOL is much better:

£1 worth of Longvida gets a peak curcumin blood concentration of 83 nM
£1 worth of Solgar NovaSOL gets a peak curcumin blood concentration of 460 nM

So you can see you get much more bang for your buck with NovaSOL.

How does one purchase and use Novasol? also, with so many different types of Curcumin- how does one decide which is right for them?

Hip

How does one purchase and use Novasol?

The issue with curcumin is bioavailability: curcumin is very poorly absorbed, so manufacturers are trying to device forms of curcumin which are more absorbable. NovaSOL is one of the newer approaches which is more easy absorbed, and thus gets into the bloodstream at higher levels.

You can buy this formulation of curcumin online, see this shopping search.

You take curcumin like any other supplement.

mitoMAN

Have you thought about injectible liquid NanoCurcumin as used in most animal studies @Hip ?
Im considering getting a compound lab tested for injection purposes.
There seem the be a lot of different Nanoparticle solutions, and each seems to target a different organ group.

Pharmacokinetics of different formulations such as Nanoparticles, Liposomal and polylactic glycolic acid co-polymer:
Differential Distribution of Intravenous Curcumin Formulations in the Rat Brain
http://ar.iiarjournals.org/content/31/3/907.full

A very comprehensive guide to Nanocurcumin:
http://signpathpharma.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/NCLCharacterizationNanocurcuminPharma.pdf

Often a rapid BURST is needed to onset certain responses in the body. These Bursts can not be archieved by oral intake. (See Vitamin C I.V. and other Supplementations that are given IV)

Free, unencapsulated curcumin is rapidly metabolized and excreted in rats.
The nanoformulation of curcumin increased the Cmax more than 1000-fold in plasma. However, the nanocurcumin in plasma only accounted for approximately 10% of the injected dose, and significantly increased the excretion of curcumin and metabolites in bile and urine. This suggests a rapid, “burst” release of curcumin. Nanoformulation of curcumin, however, does not significantly accumulate in the lung, as the DMSO-solubilized curcumin does.

Last edited:

Hip

Have you thought about injectible liquid NanoCurcumin as used in most animal studies @Hip ?

I believe intravenous curcumin therapies are already available as an alternative cancer treatment.

In my case, I find taking more than one capsule of oral curcumin leads to an unpleasant anger and irritability mental state. Not sure if that is an idiosyncratic response, but I suspect that if I were to get IV curcumin, it might worsen this side effect even further.