• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you have crimson crescents?

Do you have crimson crescents?

• I have them and I tested positive for XMRV.

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • I don't have them and I tested positive for XMRV.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have them and I tested negative for XMRV.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I don't have them and I tested negative for XMRV.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have them and I have not yet been tested for XMRV.

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • I don't have them and I have not yet been tested for XMRV.

Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters

lululowry

So I have checked all members of my household now:rolleyes: and the results kinda surprise me. My husband does not have them at all, nor does my older son. My daughter definitely does :(and my youngest son might - it's a bit hard to tell with his little tonsils.

The results don't surprise me in terms of possible symptoms - my daughter has sensory and mild autistic symptoms and frequent headaches/tired/etc.

But in terms of how this might be transmitted, I would certainly have assumed my husband would have been the most likely to have crimson crescents too.:innocent1:

K

_Kim_

lulu, sorry to hear that your daughter has them too. That's worrisome in itself. I hope your family gets selected for the WPI study. I think we will learn the most from family members.

I've had two visitors this week and both indulged me in my oral exploration. Neither had crimson crescents.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
I had Jehovah's Witnesses stop by this week my only visitors and am wondering now if I should have asked to check their mouths in exchange for my listening to them. Instead I just sent them away. It was a missed opportunity. Darn!

Crimson crescents

Camas, that is a masterpiece of photography. I tried getting a pic of me but holding my tongue down, holding a flashlight and trying to take a pic required more hands than I have. This was the part where I had to replace myself with my stuntman ;)

Ha! Well, I used a small flashlight and was able to see the sides of the inside of my mouth. (The back of my throat is another proposition entirely, as I have a strong gag reflex.) I appear to have a very distinct thin red crescent on the right side, but not on the left. Now I'm going to be going around shining a flashlight into the mouths of all my housemates. (But not the cats.)

mmorrison

L'engle

moogle
I have em. and my throat's been somewhat irritated the last few days, so I don't know if I usually have them so vividly. Feels like an immune system/allergy spree is on right now, while my normal symptoms feel more like adrenal symptoms... but who knows... gives me something else to check out when I'm bored of seeing if my pupils flutter under a bright light from adrenal fatigue (they do somewhat)

HopingSince88

LOL at your lol

Is there anything normal about this thread?

Flybro/Kim- Only 61 folks have registered their crescents on the thread...but 2700 have viewed this thread. I am picturing 2700 folks all around the world with mirrors and flashlights and tongue depressors. RLMAO

R

Rainmom

I recently saw a doctor in WA state who said those crimson crescents were associated with HHV-6

awol

I recently saw a doctor in WA state who said those crimson crescents were associated with HHV-6

I think there has to be more to it than that. The number of people infected in their lifetime with HHV-6 is far far higher than the 4% who have crescents. Also the vast majority of people exposed to HHV-6 do not go on to develop ME/CFS. But Cunha identified the crescents in 80% of people who have ME/CFS. A lot of those people have chronically reactivated HHV-6, but that would be the only association. XMRV is at least as likely a culprit.

Nina

I had Jehovah's Witnesses stop by this week — my only visitors — and am wondering now if I should have asked to check their mouths in exchange for my listening to them. Instead I just sent them away. It was a missed opportunity. Darn!

Lol, gracenote, baaad mistake! Next time you'll be prepared :)

So far I checked hubby and Mum. No crescents there! I'm still stuck with my lopsided self.

awol

I totally loved the image of checking the throats of Jehovah's witnesses. Hilarious!

So... 60 out of 63 so far. Very impressive.

fds66

I had Jehovah's Witnesses stop by this week my only visitors and am wondering now if I should have asked to check their mouths in exchange for my listening to them. Instead I just sent them away. It was a missed opportunity. Darn!

Oh Gracenote - that me laugh so much - thanks for that.

fds66

I now have a vision of us all going round with a little torch tucked in our pockets that we will shine in the mouths of every person we meet.

Seriously though, I am not going to look in my son's mouth - I too scared to find out if he has them or not.