• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you have crimson crescents?

Do you have crimson crescents?

• I have them and I tested positive for XMRV.

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • I don't have them and I tested positive for XMRV.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have them and I tested negative for XMRV.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I don't have them and I tested negative for XMRV.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have them and I have not yet been tested for XMRV.

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • I don't have them and I have not yet been tested for XMRV.

Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
Camas, that is a masterpiece of photography. I tried getting a pic of me but holding my tongue down, holding a flashlight and trying to take a pic required more hands than I have. This was the part where I had to replace myself with my stuntman ;)

bel canto

I've been told by a doc, to whom I eagerly showed my red throat, that everyone had them.

I didn't believe him but I did think that I could detach my head and hold it in my hand and he would have said: Everyone can do that.

That's the best laugh I've had today!

camas

Camas, that is a masterpiece of photography. I tried getting a pic of me but holding my tongue down, holding a flashlight and trying to take a pic required more hands than I have. This was the part where I had to replace myself with my stuntman ;)

Thanks, spin. I owe it all to my g-suit. :victory:

W

wahaneebelly

Yes, I have crimson crescents also.
I tested positive for Lyme Disease, fifteen years after being diagnosed with fibromyalgia syndrome. They are always bilateral, and they can be very bright, which is why he called them crimson instead of purple. These crescents last for months and gradually fade as the disease goes into remission. When the patient gets sick again, the crescents usually get redder.

Nina

Hi all,

IMPORTANT NOTE: According to Dr. Cunha who originally discovered these, crimson crescents can look very different and be located in a different place for people who have had their tonsils removed.

Thanks awol! Mine is located more on the side and can be seen better from an angle. Maybe the other one is not really visible because of that?

jace

Off the fence
Darn it, I can't be bothered to wait for my XMRV status. I've voted. I've got crescents, thin defined ones, a bit like a children's felt tip pen line I've only been incapably ill for just over a year. I wonder if they get thicker with time?

It was really hard to get the light/tongue/angle of vision right. And my camera lens steamed up - which is probably just as well ;)

Fascination. I'll check every visitor I have. Hi, I'll put the kettle on. Now, come to this window, and open wide...

HopingSince88

I called my 2 daughters. One has been very sick with CFS symptoms for 20 years, the other is the picture of health. I had asked my daughter that was ill about these crescents long ago, and she does have them. Yesterday I had a conversation with my healthy daughter about these crescents, and while on the phone with me she said "AH" while looking in a mirror. She proclaimed that she had a bright red McDonald's arch right there in front of her tonsils. (We had already decided as a family we would all be tested when the antibody test is available through local labs).

Francelle

I am ROFL.......but to burst my bubble....... in trying to communicate these funny posts to my husband he grimly suggests that they are not so funny when you don't understand the context......."but I thought I gave you the context". Oh goodness me, never mind!

This is way better than CBT anyday.

flybro

OMG how hard to do this,

I've got a big gob, but camera, flashlight and houdini couldn't pull this stunt off, I had to contstruct stuff to supprt the torch, and stick wood in my mouth to keep it open. What a sight. But I've got them, both sides and yes very crimson. My jaw is killing me now.

It felt like my head was going to fall of backwrds.

I admit I thought this was just more jiggery pokery, but I thought what the hell, a bit a jiggery pokery may be needed from time to time.

I havn't tested for XMRV, I would also say that I have had a kind off slow onset. I do think if I have XMRV I may well have been born with it, my paternal grandmother was a-typical MS.

awol

Just wanted to point out that since we know that 2 of the 4 votes above for no crescents are wrong - crescents later found - that means that so far, 50/52 people who have voted have the crescents! Pretty incredible. Of course people without them may not be voting because they don't have a clue what we are talking about and are terrified by all of the images :Retro redface: ....

Also, we know that testing methods for xmrv aren't perfectly reliable yet so the no's with crescents may turn out to be false negatives...

Results so far are interesting don't you think?

HopingSince88

Awol,

Yes...I agree that the numbers are pretty interesting in this poll. It is also possible that the negatives are due to latency? I think someone said someplace that the crescents can fade and reappear. It would be interesting to know that healthy people outside our families do NOT have these.

awol

It would be interesting to know that healthy people outside our families do NOT have these.

I agree. Dr. Cunha who originally found these said he usually found them in around 4% of healthy people. But these 4% may be the very same people who are healthy and XMRV+ !

SunnyGal

I've got the crescents and XMRV. For years I used to peer down my throat trying to figure out if I had them or not, then my doc who I started seeing 1.5 years ago casually mentioned that I always have them when he looks, and poof! Magically I could see exactly what he was seeing.

I'm curious. When I started to get various symptoms around age 14 or so, one of my symptoms was recurrent tonsilitis (along with recurrent bronchitis). I've not had tonsilitis in decades now, although I used to get occassional sore throats. Anyone else?

Sunny

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
I had my tonsils taken out when I was almost three. The doctor didn't agree with the majority of doctors during that time who routinely took out tonsils, but thought mine were so bad they had to go. Four years later, I got infected lymph nodes on one side of my neck that had to be lanced (I had to get shots, too, although I don't know what of). I wasn't sick growing up, but I wonder if it all started back then. I was lower energy after the infected glands, though not obviously so.

jace

Off the fence
I checked my healthy middle daughter's throat last night - no crescents there. I would like to see other healthy throats (am I getting a new and strange fetish?) but I don't think they'll play in the local shop.

In the UK the NHS perform no diagnostic tests that show positive in ME/CFS patients - this one they at least cannot object to on grounds of costs!

awol

I checked my healthy middle daughter's throat last night - no crescents there. I would like to see other healthy throats (am I getting a new and strange fetish?) but I don't think they'll play in the local shop.

In the UK the NHS perform no diagnostic tests that show positive in ME/CFS patients - this one they at least cannot object to on grounds of costs!

Jace,

I agree. The biggest bonus of this sign is that it is free! So important. I am glad your daughter has no crscents.