• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you have crimson crescents?

Do you have crimson crescents?

• I have them and I tested positive for XMRV.

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • I don't have them and I tested positive for XMRV.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have them and I tested negative for XMRV.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I don't have them and I tested negative for XMRV.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have them and I have not yet been tested for XMRV.

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • I don't have them and I have not yet been tested for XMRV.

Votes: 13 10.8%

• Total voters
K

_Kim_

Many thanks Kim! That area is actually very bright red. I can't believe I shared such a revealing photo of my...tonsils on the internet!:tear: If my kids knew how quickly I whipped out a photo of my tonsils, I would never hear the end of it! :Retro tongue:

Hahaha, I know, I know...I felt pretty exposed too!!

Hey, can you check your kids and see if any of them have CC too?

R

Robin

Many thanks Kim! That area is actually very bright red. I can't believe I shared such a revealing photo of my...tonsils on the internet!:tear: If my kids knew how quickly I whipped out a photo of my tonsils, I would never hear the end of it! :Retro tongue:

hahaha! show us yer crescents, baby! rrrraaawr! lol, just joking!

I would show mine but my camera battery died. I'll charge it and show mine too -- maybe if a bunch of us did you wouldn't feel so... shy. ;) I'll take a picture of a normal healthy throat too for comparison.

K

_Kim_

I'm thrilled--they weren't there the last time I checked! Or maybe they were, and I was just looking in the wrong place?

It's always a boon to have objective signs of illness! :victory::victory::victory:

We are hysterical. Cheering when we find out we have a sign that is linked to HIV/KS.

So, what I wanna know is how common these are in the gen. pop.

Anyone else wanna subject their loved ones to an oral examination for science sake?

MEKoan

I've been told by a doc, to whom I eagerly showed my red throat, that everyone had them.

I didn't believe him but I did think that I could detach my head and hold it in my hand and he would have said: Everyone can do that.

R

Robin

Anyone else wanna subject their loved ones to an oral examination for science sake?

My nephew's throat is perfectly pink without any hint of a crescent. I'll check my parents next time I see them!

lululowry

hahaha! show us yer crescents, baby! rrrraaawr! lol, just joking!

Robin! A crimson crescents peep show...we're sick, I tell ya! ;)

Kim, that is a great idea about the kids. They are out of town at the moment, but rest assured, I'll be checking my entire family tomorrow night!

And joking aside, I hope I don't see a thing.:(

K

_Kim_

I've been told by a doc, to whom I eagerly showed my red throat, that everyone had them.

I didn't believe him but I did think that I could detach my head and hold it in my hand and he would have said: Everyone can do that.

I showed my doc too and he kept saying 'that's normal' and I said no, you're not looking in the right place. He finally, once guided to where they were, confessed that he actually never takes notice of the soft palate, his eyes were trained to look past the uvula right at the throat.

Why am I reminded of this thread?

R

Robin

I can't find my camera battery charger :( :( :( so I used Kim's cell phone + flashlight method. Mine is easier to see from an angled view and appears to be swollen. Sheesh.

ETA: I have no tonsils.

rb6Yg.jpg

Impish

Wow...

Think about it. 4% of non-sick people have these and have XMRV. Could this also explain why the German throat swab detection found XMRV when the others didn't. As a pure fluke it could turn out that XMRV sheds or lives into the throat and that was where they looked?! :confused:

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
I have them as marked blue (not the red part) in post # 6 . I tried getting a good pic but my tongue
is too long, it keeps getting in the way :D

attachment.php

jackie

So many nice straight teeth, so many loooong tongues...so many very nutty people.

Oh alright..of course I have them, too. My doc takes a peek every two months...and happily notes that I am beset with the crimson crescents (try saying crimson crescents 10 times very fast) and says yep yep yep! and pats my head and smiles....a smile of supreme satisfaction (because he KNOWS! I'm not quite sure what that is...but it must be something good)

(Dr.Y...you DO understand that you should NOT like to see what you are liking to see...and it's time for your punishment - so off to the church with you.....and don't anybody follow him because he needs a time-out.)

j:D

awol

Good thread! Yes I do have CC. A doctor told me ages ago. Isn't it seen in HIV? Something to do with HHV-8/Kaposi's sarcoma which I think is a form of cancer in HIV.
Maybe XMRV makes us more likely to have it because our mal adpative belief system causes it to appear because we want it to.

I reckon we should do CBT for Crimson Crescents, failing that we could do home study english literature classes so I can learn how to spell it.

I am now terrified by _Kim's_ mouth!!!!! LOL. Run for the hills the page is alive... CHOMP. ** Eeeek.

I have never heard this association with HIV or anything else before. Do you know any articles that explain this? Any other online sources? Very curious.

Of course it could turn out that they have nothing to do with HIV or anything else except XMRV! Remember, there are bound to be higher numbers of HIV patients with XMRV than the general population because of their severely compromised immune systems.

fds66

OK, I've found them now. I was looking too far back in my throat. Now I see where to look they are really red. I have to admit to falling about laughing at us all examining our throats and even taking photos. I then thought - maybe everyone has them so I got out my torch and had my husband open his mouth and his are light pink - not red at all. He now thinks I've completely lost my last shred of sanity lol. Not sure I know anyone else well enough to examine their throats lol. Thanks for the diagrams.

awol

OK, I've found them now. I was looking too far back in my throat. Now I see where to look they are really red. I have to admit to falling about laughing at us all examining our throats and even taking photos. I then thought - maybe everyone has them so I got out my torch and had my husband open his mouth and his are light pink - not red at all. He now thinks I've completely lost my last shred of sanity lol. Not sure I know anyone else well enough to examine their throats lol. Thanks for the diagrams.

fds66 - I did the same thing to my partner when I first heard about these! He does have them. But he is also showing early signs of maybe being sick.

Were you the "no" vote above in the poll or was that someone else?

fds66

No that no vote wasn't me. I voted yes because I did find them. I didn't vote at all to start with cos I didnt know what I was looking for lol.

Countrygirl

I'm thrilled--they weren't there the last time I checked! Or maybe they were, and I was just looking in the wrong place?

It's always a boon to have objective signs of illness! :victory::victory::victory

Thanks Kim for the brilliant pics. I have never known exactly where to look before. Anyway, with the aid of a mirror and some challenging contortions, I've managed to locate one crimson crimson, but not two. Is there anyone else who does not have a matching pair? How should I vote, Yes or NO ?

C.G.

awol

Thanks Kim for the brilliant pics. I have never known exactly where to look before. Anyway, with the aid of a mirror and some challenging contortions, I've managed to locate one crimson crimson, but not two. Is there anyone else who does not have a matching pair? How should I vote, Yes or NO ?

Well that IS strange!