• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you feel something moving in your ears?

purrsian

I don't think I get a feeling of something moving necessarily, but I do feel moisture in there, sometimes a dull pain, sometimes they randomly pop or make a little squelching type noise. I had no issues with my ears until I had to fly home while I had a bad flu and on descent, my ears were very painful and I couldn't hear properly for a few days after. Ever since then, my ears have had these minor symptoms and I've had sinus/headache/dizzy type symptoms and constant tinnitus ever since.

I believe my head symptoms are a combination of low blood flow in my head (due to CFS plus POTS) and a mild persistent infection of some sort which no treatments seem to help. People with CFS seem to be prone to these mild niggling symptoms that seem like infections, but never respond to treatment (think of all the mild fevers, sweating, sore throats many of us complain of).

On a side note, my mum complains of the same moisture feeling in her ears that I have. When we lie on our side, the ear we're laying on will feel like a tiny amount of moisture is slowly coming out and sometimes you can feel it with your finger. I'm super sensitive to any wax in my ears - I clean them with a cotton bud regularly because any slight amount makes them itchy and feel like there is moisture in there even when I'm standing. I know everyone says not to use cotton buds, but there is always so little wax in there that I'm sure there's nothing to push further in, plus I would go insane if I left it. The wax is usually quite liquidy too compared to how it used to be.

So I dunno if this is similar to your experience, but I do understand how annoying ear problems can be. Do you have any balance issues, dizziness, lightheadedness or spatial/body awareness type symptoms?

purrsian

Mine actually sometimes feels a little tender very deep inside when I try to scratch with a cotton bud. This never used to be the case, so it makes me wonder if there is a degree of inflammation or something.

Wonko

Most of the time it's itching, sometimes it feels like something, possibly several somethings, is crawling in there.

At times, there is definitely inflammation, I know this coz of the relative difficultly in using a cotton bud.

During the night, sometimes, there does seem to be a lot of liquid wax, and heat, in there, enough to make me uncomfortable enough to wake me,so I may not be talking about the same thing as you.

I use cetirizine (an OTC antihistamine), a 10mg tablet at night, when it's bad, found out by accident it helps, at least for me. I've also found that the problem has gone away, at least temporarily under some supplement regimes but I have no idea which one did it.

ukxmrv

No but I have repeated and chronic sinus infections that spread to my ears so that could possibly be similar. Itching, pain and strange sensations

Sometimes there is no discharge so it can be difficult to work out it is an infection

Hugo

Its very common with sinusproblems for ME and also tonsills problems. That could cause several problems with ears. In my own experience tooth problems could cause problems with my ears. But not like something was moving in my ears.

What could cause this problems is to my knowledge wax. I had wax on my eardrum once, I didnt hear anything on that ear until a doctor removed it. To my knowledge for example wax with water behind the wax can cause strange sounds.

Last edited: