• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do any of these blood results reveal anything (my GP shrugs her shoulders)?

SWAlexander

Consistent with either classic allergy problems or mcas. It means you should test to rule out regular ige allergies and if those come back negative or even if a few come back positive (bc u can have mcas and allergies ), you should test for more mcas tests: tryptase, histamine, prostaglandins, and more (you can look for full list of mcas tests somewhere on this site probably or an mcas site. ). High IgE, especially if it appears more than once and isnt fluke, is definitely meaningful.

Diseases that cause the elevation of serum IgE levels include atopic diseases (asthma, allergic rhinitis, atopic dermatitis, urticaria), parasitic diseases, cutaneous diseases, neoplastic diseases, and immune deficiencies...

MCAS is a condition in which the patient experiences repeated episodes of the symptoms of anaphylaxis – allergic symptoms such as hives, swelling, low blood pressure, difficulty breathing and severe diarrhea. High levels of mast cell mediators are released during those episodes.

frozenborderline

MCAS is a condition in which the patient experiences repeated episodes of the symptoms of anaphylaxis – allergic symptoms such as hives, swelling, low blood pressure, difficulty breathing and severe diarrhea. High levels of mast cell mediators are released during those episodes.
I dont know if you're just adding detail here or disagreeing with me , but many people with mcas and similar issues have high serum IgE. Yes, its diagnosed mostly by high levels of mast cell mediators, but high IgE could be an initial tell ...

frozenborderline

MCAS is a condition in which the patient experiences repeated episodes of the symptoms of anaphylaxis – allergic symptoms such as hives, swelling, low blood pressure, difficulty breathing and severe diarrhea.
This really isnt a full definition of mcas. Patients can experience anaphylaxis like episodes but many dont and many patients have issues that are extremely atypical for allergy and are more like flu like problems , even PEM/orthostatic and dysautonomia issues , even joint problems, neuroinflammation that causes brain fog. I have severe mcas and I dont experience anaphylaxis or anything like it almost ever.

frozenborderline

"This really isnt a full definition of mcas."
You are right MCAS is a part of the autonomic nervous system (ANS) is the part of the nervous system. https://ans-clinic.de/en/beschwerden/ans-autonomes-nervensystem/was-ist-das
Mcas is properly part of the immune system. It's an immune disorder. You can argue the autonomic nervous system and immune system are connected and I'd agree but first and foremost it's an immune disorder and it gets treated by immunologists and allergists.

@frozenborderline
Thank you for your input. I actually did get further tests done on the high IGE. I was told it was a mixture of grass pollen, dog dander and dust allergy. The numbers they quoted don't really mean much to me though
ige.PNG

frozenborderline

@frozenborderline
Thank you for your input. I actually did get further tests done on the high IGE. I was told it was a mixture of grass pollen, dog dander and dust allergy. The numbers they quoted don't really mean much to me thoughView attachment 44884
Good to know you have those allergies. Would still get tested for mcas tho as you can gave classic allergies and mcas at same time

SWAlexander

Good to know you have those allergies. Would still get tested for mcas tho as you can gave classic allergies and mcas at same time

If I remember the IgE antibody test right it is also responding to gluten. Gluten was for 6 months my biggest problem. Slowly I can eating bread again.