• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DNA sequencing device for 1000$

Hipsman

https://product.statnano.com/product/11661/minion-sequencer
Edit: better link
The MinION is commercially available, simply by paying a starter-pack fee of $1,000. The MinION starter pack includes materials you need to run initial sequencing experiments, including a MinION device, flow cells and kits, as well as membership of the Nanopore Community.
Thought this was cool, wonder what potencial applications for ME/CFS diagnostic this has, like maybe it can do mitochondria DNA sequencing or viral genome present in your blood/mucous, like they do genome sequencing of SARS-COV-2 to find new variants...

Last edited:

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
The MinION device is actually used on the space station.

You can actually sequence DNA yourself and have it printed and then replicated, though you have to know what you are doing.

Hip

Wow, that is extraordinary. I had no idea that such cheap DNA sequencing devices were available.

According to this article, there are some running costs:
At the time of writing (2019), the startup package, which includes a sequencer, flow cells and reagents, only costs $1,000.

You need to buy more flow cells and reagents once they are used up. Flow cells costs $500 to $900 (cheaper at volume) and can produce up to 30 Gigabases of sequenced DNA per flow cell.

Cost of reagents per sequencing is around $100.

Hipsman

According to this article, there are some running costs:
Damn, costly, I think they desined this more like a "product as a service", where they make profit not from the initial 1000$ starter package, but from the accessories you buy after the included stuff runs out...

Still, if someone buys it just to test his own genome, then the initial package probably has enough staff for that.

But then, I think if you just need whole genome sequencing, then commercialy avalible solutions are cheaper already, so this is specifically for something that’s not commercially avalible or avalible for much higher price.
Anyway I’m a noob at genetics so take this with a grain of salt🤪

vision blue

I am thinking of getting this . It will be cheaper to operate than it was 2 years ago because there is new free software that allows one to target specific pieces of interest rather than having to fo thru the entire genome. Hopefully then any costly reagents will last a long time. I pasted below a link to that academic paper on the technology. TheRe are non academic news story descriptions of the impact of this that are more informative but i dont have them in front of me.

I think a bigger obstacle will be availability. At only 4 ounces and with new software this is becoming in high demand. Its already being used in the field all around the world to test covid variants quickly. Reagents are in short supply too from all the covid pcr tests.

i have not tried yet to see if its in stock. Another obstacle for me is been particularly crummy lately after a year of being more funcional. I think my disease is changing. Challenge to take care of myself so not sure i can take this on.

if i can, first thing i am interested in doing is to identify the recurrent virus that i have. I suspect it is hsv1 but need more proof. I have tried everything to get the medical world to do this for me but When the outbreak has an open sore it doesnt last long and needs to be samples right away. Have tried so hard with pcp and ID to be set up to have a kit at home to sample and then will bring to them. Hasnt happened.

Anyway this should be fairly straighforward. I woukd have no trouble selecting a primer for hsv1 and then running PCR. At least i think the sequencer can do that. If not can still tell it what sequence to look for. Will also see if can get it from saliva as well as from lesions itself. If its positive i will sequence the entire hsv1 genome that is plauging me I can easily compare to the other sequences on genbank to see if ive got A unique Virulent variant or a known one that just happened to end up in atypical places

but theres more....i want to follow up on one the rare varisnts oli have from exome testing. I think i can do rna expression with the sequencer and can see how my faulty gene is nonetheless producing rna. I cant do a tissue biopsy though...

also want to runna cancer screen which is what this device was largely used for before covid.

so lots of uses. Besides physical constraint , a littke concern ilover chemicals given my chemical sensitivity but hope the masks will come in handy

i shoukd check if in stock but do t want to get disappointed if its not. Whens the next stimulus relief check coming?

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41587-020-00746-x

i