• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Disability question

My daughter with CFS is 23 and we will be soon applying for disability for her. She wants to move out of state to be closer to her friends. Does anyone know if changing her state of residence will jeopardize her disability?

MEPatient345

@CFS Mom If you are referring to the US, and SSDI, not SSI, then no, changing state should not jeopardize her ability to get SSDI. It is worth giving consideration to whether or not it is a red or blue state tho, as republican judges can be less understanding of complex “invisible” illnesses. I got sick in New York, and had to move back home to Europe. We filed my case in New York as it has mostly liberal judges. I could have moved my case to be treated as international, but that would have required that I have a video hearing with a judge who could have been anywhere in country, so my lawyer advised against it. She was able to attend my hearing in my stead (I did win benefits). I would recommend that she discuss her particular situation with an SSDI attorney.

My daughter with CFS is 23 and we will be soon applying for disability for her. We live in the US. She wants to move from NC to SC to be closer to her friends. Does anyone know if changing her state of residence will jeopardize her disability?