• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

digestive enzymes, specifically animal source /pancreatin etc etc

Hi guys just wondering what benefits anyone has found from animal source ones, i cant take plant based or bacteria grown etc etc. so i see many take animal based, i have just bought some and can tolerate them fine (very rare for any supplement for me), so i wondering for those who HAVE took ANIMAL based /pancreatin etc etc enzymes, how have they helped. what differences? i have huge number of food sensitivities so eager to be able to eat more foods than the 12 i can eat last few years

thanks any experiences helpful

I take pancreatin and it helped with my digestive issues. I can now tolerate yogurt but not a glass of milk.

I take pancreatin and it helped with my digestive issues. I can now tolerate yogurt but not a glass of milk.

HI Helen, so when you say you could tolerate it better now, does that mean no digestive distress, or did it eg remove any immune, brain or energy worsening symptoms?

Carl

I use Pancreatin and have for quite a long time. I use the Now foods 250 capsule one which I need to purchase again.

It helps with fat digestion. I have not noticed any effect against food sensitivities because food molecules enter the circulatory system in the stomach from which antibodies are produced.

I find not changing foods helps enormously. If I add a new food I crash, exhausted which can mean I do not eat the foods I was eating which causes problems the next day when I reintroduce them. I have very severe hyperpermeability however I did manage to reduce it a bit last year by destroying a large part of the infection which causes it. I have tested positive for IgE antibodies against all foods that I was eating.

HI Helen, so when you say you could tolerate it better now, does that mean no digestive distress, or did it eg remove any immune, brain or energy worsening symptoms?
The only thing I noticed was that I don't get diarrhea and cramps after eating yogurt. I don't think it helped other symptoms. I take Now brand that I get on Amazon.

I use Pancreatin and have for quite a long time. I use the Now foods 250 capsule one which I need to purchase again.

It helps with fat digestion. I have not noticed any effect against food sensitivities because food molecules enter the circulatory system in the stomach from which antibodies are produced.

I find not changing foods helps enormously. If I add a new food I crash, exhausted which can mean I do not eat the foods I was eating which causes problems the next day when I reintroduce them. I have very severe hyperpermeability however I did manage to reduce it a bit last year by destroying a large part of the infection which causes it. I have tested positive for IgE antibodies against all foods that I was eating.

So you mean your overall food sensitives, you find you are better just sticking to what you ok with? basically 12 items food i can have. only like 2 veg. 2 fruit. everything else, everything is unbearable. maybe i should just stick to my 2 veg while trying to fix overall. it would be a disaster if became sensitive to these too though

kangaSue

I have severe gastroparesis and tolerate very few foods now. Creon (prescription med) pancreatic enzymes helped a lot with tolerating things for about 18 months and I was able to add back in some different foods while on it but it all went slowly pear shaped on me, to the point that I couldn't tolerate the med either.

I wasn't able to tolerate any of the other over the counter supplements in this line, just the Creon with time release coatings on the micro pellets. Prescription ones tend to be very expensive, other choices here are Pancreaze, Pertzye, Ultresa or Zenpep.

Consider trying baking soda too (sodium bicarbonate), it's supposed to have antihistamine action to help with food sensitivities.