• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19, FLU, COLDS, & ALLERGIES

YippeeKi YOW !!

It's really hard to tell what you've got these days, what with general panic and the relative similarities between different seasonal illnesses, many of which are floating about right now.

I thought this graph, tho simplistic, might be helpful and a good starting point:

1585935932257.png

@Wolfcub

YippeeKi YOW !!

And they are now reporting an early symptom of COVID-19 is loss of taste and smell.
Yeah, that should definitely be added to the list above. Not everyone gets that symptom, but it's becoming reported more frequently, so it should be regarded as a signpost, and thank you for posting this @Sushi.

I only had a loss of taste, or rather a severe reduction in my ability to taste anything, accompanied by moderate nausea, and later, lite vomiting. My sense of smell was pretty diminished but not gone ....

I find it interesting that COVID, like ME, seems to creep up on everybody slightly differently, with some but usually not all the symptoms, or symptoms piling up gradually.

Rufous McKinney

You're thinking of the flu, which usually has a wet, mucousy cough. COVID has a dry sandpapery cough that tears up your throat and is virtually void of soothing mucous ....

thats what I meant- thats not a typical early symptom of colds or flus..that I tend to get at least...sung to the tune of: Its All About Me!

Rufous McKinney

Seems like the "mild nausea"...is also not typical of: typical flus.

I keep getting a "stomach flu"...nothing mild about it. Nothing respiratory affiliated with that flu.