• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Difference Between the Nanoneedle & Other Impedance Analyzers?

What’s the difference between the nanoneedle and off-the-shelf impedance analyzers? Can off-the-shelf counterparts separate ME/CFS PBMCs with ME/CFS plasma from those with healthy plasma? And while utilizing the salt-stress test?

Here’s a summary of how 2 impedance analyzers work:
  • Nanoneedle: “The assay detects any impedance modulation due to the presence and/or interactions of biomolecules of interest at the active sensing region of the sensors [1].”
  • xCELLigence RTCA: “Changes in morphology, adherence and cell numbers lead to impedance shifts reflected as cell index (CI) alterations which are dynamically recorded using the instrument [2][3].”
I’m not quite sure how similar these are. Maybe cell numbers and adherence mean the same as “presence and/or interactions of biomolecules,” which the nanoneedle uses to measure impedance.

It’s of interest that the xCELLigence system can measure changes in morphology. Maybe this could be used to replicate Prusty’s findings [4] about changes in mitochondrial morphology.

So, could this be a viable avenue of searching for the “something in the blood?”

Hip

I was not aware that similar devices to the nanoneedle gadget existed. I wonder if Ron David is aware of this machine.

Apparently the xCELLigence RTCA machine uses E-Plates, which are described as:
micro-electrode configuration that covers 80% of each well bottom’s surface area

I was not aware that similar devices to the nanoneedle gadget existed. I wonder if Ron David is aware of this machine.

Apparently the xCELLigence RTCA machine uses E-Plates, which are described as:
There are a few different impedance analyzers that I know of besides the nanoneedle. There's the xCELLigence RTCA and the Cellkey impedance analyzer which was used by Alain Moreau, who noted the "something in the blood" when he soaked Jurkat cells in ME/CFS plasma.

I'm sure Ron is aware of other impedance analyzers. His team probably produced their own proprietary tech for commercial reasons like producing a biomarker that can then be FDA approved. I'm sure it has some advantages too like perhaps it's more sensitive than others.