• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dietary stearic acid induces mitochondrial fusion in humans. Relevance for ME/CFS?

nerd

Pal AD, Basak NP, Banerjee AS, Banerjee S. Epstein-Barr virus latent membrane protein-2A alters mitochondrial dynamics promoting cellular migration mediated by Notch signaling pathway. Carcinogenesis. 2014 Jul;35(7):1592-601. doi: 10.1093/carcin/bgu069. Epub 2014 Mar 14. PMID: 24632494.

Recently, migration and invasion of breast cancer cells have been linked with dysregulated mitochondrial dynamics. Mitochondria are essential cellular organelles that undergo continuous dynamic cycles of fission and fusion. It has been proposed that a delicate balance between these two processes is important for many pathophysiological outcomes including cancer. Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is a gamma herpesvirus that is associated with various lymphoid and epithelial malignancies. The viral latent membrane protein 2A (LMP2A) has been shown to increase the invasive ability and induce epithelial-mesenchymal transition in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Our present study reveals that mitochondrial dynamics also plays a critical role in Epstein-Barr virus-associated epithelial cancers. Our data indicate that viral LMP2A causes an elevated mitochondrial fission in gastric and breast cancer cells, which is manifested by elevated fission protein dynamin-related protein 1 (Drp1). Furthermore, LMP2A-mediated Notch pathway is responsible for this enhanced fission since inhibitors of the pathway decrease the expression of Drp1.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Ok, I see @Hip 's point about how stopping fragmentation would help to prevent the coxsackievirus from spreading. However This article shows that mitochondrial fragmentation benefits the body by preventing the spread of HHV6 so it looks like it's a protective mechanism with that infection. If you disable it then the HHV6 spreads.

In conclusion, HHV-6 reactivation in ME/CFS patients activates a multisystem, proinflammatory, cell danger response that protects against certain RNA and DNA virus infections but comes at the cost of mitochondrial fragmentation and severely compromised energy metabolism.

https://www.immunohorizons.org/content/4/4/201

ME patients often have multiple viruses so you have to be careful.

Hip

This article shows that mitochondrial fragmentation benefits the body by preventing the spread of HHV6 so it looks like it's a protective mechanism with that infection. If you disable it then the HHV6 spreads.

https://www.immunohorizons.org/content/4/4/201

That is a very interesting paper by Bhupesh Prusty, Robert Naviaux, Carmen Scheibenboge and others. I had not seen that before.

The quoted passages from the paper below indicate that Prusty et al are saying HHV-6 might be inducing mitochondrial fragmentation (mitochondrial fission) in order to thwart the innate immune response.

From what I can make out, this Prusty paper suggests there is a possibility mitochondrial fission benefits HHV-6, protecting this virus from the innate immune system.

Thus if we can promote the opposite of fission, mitochondrial fusion, by means of stearic acid or other interventions, may help the immune system to clear HHV-6, as well as help clear coxsackievirus B.

We have recently shown that HHV-6A reactivation induces mitochondrial fragmentation

HHV-6A might also have evolved a mechanism to induce mitochondrial fission. Mitochondrial fission reduces the cell’s ability to mount innate immune response (reviewed in Ref. 24).

mitochondrial fragmentation might be an adaptation by the virus to avoid innate immune response at the time of viral reactivation

The next quote is interesting, as it says mitochondria fissions thwarts MAVS, and MAVS is a critical immune pathway necessary for mounting an interferon response against coxsackievirus B (ref: here). So here is another way that mitochondrial fission may benefit coxsackievirus B infection.
Fragmented mitochondria are inefficient in providing strong innate immune response, as they prevent interaction between mitochondrial antiviral signaling protein (MAVS) and stimulator of IFN genes (STING)

Thus, our results show that partial reactivation of HHV-6A is enough to induce mitochondrial fragmentation that leads to lower ATP content in the cells accompanied by lower innate immune response.

The final two quotes below may refer to that "something in the serum" found in ME/CFS patients' blood serum which affects cells and their energy metabolism.

The Prusty paper refers to a "transferrable factor" created in HHV-6A–reactivated cells, which when it arrives at adjacent uninfected cells, puts them into a hypo-metabolic state with reduced ATP production:
These results suggested that an unknown and IFN-independent transferrable factor from HHV-6A–reactivated cells can induce a hypometabolic, fragmented mitochondrial phenotype in responder cells.

we showed that serum from ME/CFS patients contained an activity that produced mitochondrial fragmentation, decreased mitochondrial ATP production, and induced a powerful antiviral state.

What is not quite clear is why HHV-6 infection in cells seems to induce mitochondria fission, and Prusty suggests this fission may protect the virus from the immune response.

But then this "something in the serum" transferrable factor created in HHV-6-infected cells seems to induced a powerful antiviral state when it arrives at adjacent cells (so presumably this factor is created by the host immune system to prevent viral spread to nearby cells, by putting uninfected cells adjacent to the infected cell on antiviral alert).

However, in spite of placing the adjacent cells on antiviral alert, the transferrable factor also fragments mitochondria of these adjacent cells, which Prusty thinks may actually benefit the HHV-6 virus.

So on the one hand the transferrable factor makes it harder for HHV-6 to infect adjacent cells (by putting cells into an antiviral alert state), which makes sense; but on the other hand this factor also does something to make it easier for HHV-6 to infect the nearly cells (fragments the mitochondria), which on first analysis does not quite make sense.

However, perhaps the fragmentation triggered by the transferrable factor might be explained by the fact that in viral infection, apoptosis (destruction of an infected cell by the immune system) is the final step if all other means to clear the virus from the cell have failed. And in order for apoptosis to take place, mitochondrial fragmentation is necessary. So perhaps this transferrable factor is just preparing adjacent uninfected cells for possible apoptosis, should they get infected and should apoptosis become necessary.

Hip

Anyway, if a virus is inducing mitochondrial fission in order to evade the immune response or to enhance its replication, it makes sense that fission inhibitors or fusion promoters may help fight that infection.

Note however that not all viruses induce fission. Some viruses actually do the opposite and induce fusion. So you would want to make sure your ME/CFS is due to a virus which induces fission, before you consider fission inhibitors, or fusion promotors.

Viruses which induce mitochondrial fission:

Hepatitis B and C viruses, which trigger fission to cripple innate immunity via reduction of MAVS signaling and interferon production. Ref: here.

Cytomegalovirus infection leads to mitochondrial fission. Ref: here.

Epstein-Barr virus latency 1 protein LMP2A triggers mitochondria fission. Ref: here.

Coxsackievirus B induces mitochondrial fission, and blocking fission with menthol reduces infection. Ref: here. Unfortunately my calculations show menthol will not work in vivo for this purpose, as it is not possible to obtain sufficiently high blood concentrations of menthol.

Influenzavirus induces mitochondrial fission. Ref: here.

Viruses which inhibit mitochondrial fission, or promote mitochondrial fusion:

Dengue virus inhibits fission. Ref: here.

HIV enhances fusion. Ref: here.

Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 inhibits fission and promotes fusion. Ref: here.

In terms of preventing mitochondria fission, the mdivi-1 compound which @mitoMAN is interested in obtaining is one option.

The process of mitochondria fission involves a protein called dynamin-related protein 1 (Drp1), and mdivi-1 inhibits this protein, thus inhibiting fission.

Unfortunately mdivi-1 may have off-target effects, like possibly inhibiting complex I of the mitochondrial respiratory chain, according to this Wikipedia article. But maybe this can be countered by taking complex I boosters like gingko biloba, melatonin and PQQ.

Tacrolimus (FK506) is another possible anti-fission option, according to that article. Tacrolimus is available as an immunosuppressive drug to prevent organ transplant rejection, and as a topical cream for treating eczema and psoriasis.

And stearic acid promotes mitochondria fusion.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
That is a very interesting paper by Bhupesh Prusty, Robert Naviaux, Carmen Scheibenboge and others. I had not seen that before.

The next quote is interesting, as it says mitochondria fissions thwarts MAVS, and MAVS is a critical immune pathway necessary for mounting an interferon response against coxsackievirus B (ref: here). So here is another way that mitochondrial fission may benefit coxsackievirus B infection.

It is blocking p53. I use sulforaphane from broccoli sprout extract to treat this pathway.

(Wanchuan Zhang, et al. The Mitochondrial Protein MAVS Stabilizes p53 to Suppress Tumorigenesis,
Cell Reports, Volume 30, Issue 3, 2020, Pages 725-738.e4, ISSN 2211-1247,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.celrep.2019.12.051.)

There are other apoptosis pathways besides the mitochondria. It can be triggered directly at the cell nucleus for example.

However, perhaps the fragmentation triggered by the transferrable factor might be explained by the fact that in viral infection, apoptosis (destruction of an infected cell by the immune system) is the final step if all other means to clear the virus from the cell have failed. And in order for apoptosis to take place, mitochondrial fragmentation is necessary. So perhaps this transferrable factor is just preparing adjacent uninfected cells for possible apoptosis, should they get infected and should apoptosis become necessary.

What are you talking about? Once viral DNA is integrated apoptosis is the only way to clear it.

Hip

Once viral DNA is integrated apoptosis is the only way to clear it.

First of all, only very few viruses integrate their DNA into the host DNA. None of the viruses linked to triggering ME/CFS (like EBV, cytomegalovirus or enterovirus) integrate their DNA. Enterovirus is not even a DNA virus, it is an RNA virus, and is unable to integrate, or even form latency.

Secondly, you go on about apoptosis, but if ME/CFS patients have a low-level infection which is infecting a high number of cells, if you destroy all those cells by apoptosis, there will not be much left of you! Most of your brain and body may be destroyed.

Apoptosis is not the only way of fighting viruses. It is used as a last resort when more conservative antiviral methods which do not kill the virally-infected cell have failed.

In the case of the low-level enterovirus infection found in ME/CFS, there is only a tiny amount of enteroviral RNA present in the cell. Apoptosis may be overkill in these situations.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Enterovirus is not even a DNA virus, it is an RNA virus, and is unable to integrate, or even form latency.

Yes it does. Non-cytolytic enterovirus forms latency without DNA integation.

Secondly, you go on about apoptosis, but if ME/CFS patients have a low-level infection which is infecting a high number of cells, if you destroy all those cells by apoptosis, there will not be much left of you! Most of your brain and body may be destroyed. In the case of the low-level enterovirus infection found in ME/CFS, there is only a tiny amount of enteroviral RNA present in the cell. Apoptosis may be overkill in these situations. Apoptosis is not the only way of fighting viruses. It is used as a last resort when more conservative antiviral methods which do not kill the virally-infected cell have failed.

Not necessarily. You are assuming unlimited viral spread. Viruses target receptors that are found in specific tissue types. Some viruses inhibit other viruses (HHV6 blocks EBV replication). The body's own defense mechanism is apoptosis and it doesn't have any other mechanism as far as I know. I see your point that it would be overkill to apoptose cells for a self limiting RNA infection but the viruses ME patients have are chronic DNA viruses so it is the only way to clear them which is why the body does it.

Hip

. Non-cytolytic enterovirus forms latency without DNA integation.

RNA viruses can sometimes enter a latency-like state, but it is not true latency.

The latency mechanism used by DNA viruses (like herpesviruses) is not an option for RNA viruses (like enteroviruses).

The enterovirus non-cytolytic state has some similarity latency, but it is not actual latency. For one thing, non-cytolytic enterovirus has alterations in its genome which in effect turn it into a different virus. Whereas in latency, no changes occur in the viral genome.

The body's own defense mechanism is apoptosis and it doesn't have any other mechanism as far as I know.

Cells have an internal immune system which can fight pathogens entering the cell.

I am sure you have heard of the Marshall Protocol, which Amy Proal used to cure her EBV ME/CFS.

The MP works by getting the cell to internally secrete two antimicrobial peptides called cathelicidin (aka LL-37) and beta-defensin. These peptides are effective against intracellular bacterial infections, and to a lesser extent, against intracellular viral infections. These peptides fight intracellular infections without triggering apoptosis.

Another example of the cells internal immune system is the way the interferon response can target and disable viral RNA inside the cell. Interferon will trigger the release of an intracellular enzyme called RNase L, which destroys viral RNA. The mechanism is this:

Viral dsRNA inside the cell ➤ Binds to and activates TLR3 ➤ Releases interferon ➤ Releases RNase L ➤ RNase L destroys all RNA within the cell (both viral and human)​

Interferon also induces the release of proteins called IFIT proteins in the cell, which bind to and disable viral RNA.

uglevod

@Hip I think MP is mainly about more robust VDR activation compared to calcitriol.

When immune cells are challenged with toxins (from growing/persistent infections) or as a result of antibiotics-induced toxemia, VDR expression spikes (due to stimulation of TLR receptors).

As a result more targets are being generated for D1.25 binding. Here Olmesartan works just as a more complete VDR activator and also as a immunosuppressant(through AT1 blockade - which could be seen as the major negative side effect, since AT1 receptors on macrophages orchestrate immune response towards infections too).

So there is little magic left IMO. People could stuff themselves with ordinary abx without Olm and depending on the level of followed toxemia get the same VDR activation, just with the native VDR agonist - calcitriol. And so called IP or herx will be the same if not worse since AT1 will not be blocked.

Also Olmesartan as an ARB itself is a direct antibiotic against some bugs and I suspect blocks TLRs too which could lead to effects(regression) similar to steroids/anti-inflammatories.

Intramammary 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 treatment modulates innate immune responses to endotoxin-induced mastitis
https://www.journalofdairyscience.org/article/S0022-0302(18)30421-1/fulltext

Last edited:

Hip

MP is mainly about more robust VDR activation compared to calcitriol.

Yes, which in turn causes more antimicrobial cathelicidin and beta-defensin to be secreted inside the cell, as these are released when the vitamin D receptor is activated.